Arrow-right Camera
The Spokesman-Review Newspaper

The Spokesman-Review Newspaper The Spokesman-Review

Spokane, Washington  Est. May 19, 1883
Partly Cloudy Night 29° Partly Cloudy
News >  Crime/Public Safety

Man injured as he jumps from second floor of burning home

UPDATED: Tue., July 18, 2017

A man was injured late Tuesday night in a fire in north Spokane.

Firefighters were called to a home at 1714 N. Post St. about 9:30 p.m.

A man trapped on the second floor jumped out of the burning home. He was injured at taken to a local hospital, Spokane Fire Chief Brian Schaeffer said.

The fire started in the home’s kitchen and spread quickly to cabinets and other parts of the home, Schaeffer said.

No other injuries were reported but the fire still was burning as of 10:45 p.m.

Two people were in the home at the time of the fire, said Shawn Massingale. She said she was sleeping in her bedroom when her dogs woke her.

“The noise was what woke me up of them trying to got out my back bedroom door,” she said.

One door to her bedroom was blocked by smoke and flames. But she was able to escape by another door.

A third roommate was not at home, she said.

She said the man who escaped out the second floor did not suffer significant injuries. Massingale identified her roommate as Paul Ellery. She said he is over 6-feet tall and simply hung out the window before dropping. She said he was not hurt.

The Spokesman-Review Newspaper

Local journalism is essential.

Give directly to The Spokesman-Review's Northwest Passages community forums series -- which helps to offset the costs of several reporter and editor positions at the newspaper -- by using the easy options below. Gifts processed in this system are not tax deductible, but are predominately used to help meet the local financial requirements needed to receive national matching-grant funds.

Active Person

Subscribe to the Coronavirus newsletter

Get the day’s latest Coronavirus news delivered to your inbox by subscribing to our newsletter.