Washington State begins its spring football practices today in Pullman at 2:30 p.m. Here are some initial thoughts on the roster the Cougars just released:
- Kyrin Priester is back on the roster. As reported Thursday, the junior wide receiver has rejoined the team, although he still has some work to do to play next season.
- A few contributors have left the program, however. Notably, fourth-year juniors Carlos Freeman, Charleston White and Darius Lemora are no longer listed on the roster. Nor is Kameron Powell, a former four-star recruit who was a redshirt freshman last season.
- Cody O’Connell was already the team’s largest player, and he has gained as much mass this offseason than any other Cougar. He’s closing in on 400 pounds after packing on 16 pounds. He’s also apparently still growing, having added an inch this offseason. O’Connell stands at a sturdy 6-foot-9, 370 pounds.
- O’Connell narrowly edges out Andre Dillard, who added 15 pounds, for the offseason’s biggest weight gainer. Dillard has grown from a 245-pound basketball player into WSU’s starting left tackle. Dillard’s transformation appears complete – he now stands 6-5, 310 pounds.
- Another big gainer on the offensive line is Frederick Mauigoa. Mauigoa is still in his first year of college – he’ll be a true sophomore next year – but is likely to be WSU’s starting center. He’s a little more suited for trench fighting after putting on 16 pounds, putting him at 305.
- On the defensive side, the Cougars are still emphasizing speed. Rush linebacker Dylan Hanser lost 10 pounds.
Local journalism is essential.
Give directly to The Spokesman-Review's Northwest Passages community forums series -- which helps to offset the costs of several reporter and editor positions at the newspaper -- by using the easy options below. Gifts processed in this system are not tax deductible, but are predominately used to help meet the local financial requirements needed to receive national matching-grant funds.
Subscribe to the Cougs newsletter
Get the latest Cougs headlines delivered to your inbox as they happen.