Three small children were treated for possible poisoning after ingesting an unknown amount of a prescription medication.
According to Clarkston Police Chief Joel Hastings, medics and a police officer responded to a call of an overdose on the 1200 block of Elm Street in Clarkston on Monday night.
A 3-year-old boy and twin 1-year-old boys were transported from the scene to St. Joseph Regional Medical Center in Lewiston for evaluation and treatment. The younger boys showed symptoms of ingesting Lorazepam, a medication used to treat anxiety.
Hastings said the father of the children reportedly was watching television when one of the youngsters brought him the empty pill bottle. The mother, who was not at home, had recently refilled the medication and told police it was stored on top of the refrigerator.
About 21 pills were supposed to be in the empty container, though none was found at the scene that night, police said.
The residence was described as filthy and filled with garbage, according to the police report. A nurse said the children had dirty feet and smelled of cat urine when admitted.
They were all taken into protective custody, Hastings said, and Child Protective Services is investigating,
“All medications need to be securely stored in a safe place that kids cannot access,” the police chief said.
Local journalism is essential.
Give directly to The Spokesman-Review's Northwest Passages community forums series -- which helps to offset the costs of several reporter and editor positions at the newspaper -- by using the easy options below. Gifts processed in this system are not tax deductible, but are predominately used to help meet the local financial requirements needed to receive national matching-grant funds.
Subscribe to the Coronavirus newsletter
Get the day’s latest Coronavirus news delivered to your inbox by subscribing to our newsletter.