A lawsuit has been filed by three former employees of Pacific Steel and Recycling who suffered injuries after an improperly labeled chlorine gas container was delivered to the recycling center in August 2015.
The lawsuit, filed July 27, follows similar action by another former Pacific Steel and Recycling employee last year.
The gas container, which was not properly labeled, was punctured and left several employees hospitalized with lung and respiratory injuries. One of those employees, Edward Dumaw, later died from his injuries.
The plaintiffs, Theodore Lister, Dale Randal Hill and Jack Stegall Jr., allege the defendants failed to exercise necessary precautions to warn of the container’s contents, as well as in handling, transporting and disposing of the chlorine gas.
The lawsuit names Northwest Equipment Auction Inc., also known as Reinland Auctioneers, and its owners Thomas and Kunya Reinland; Ibex Construction Inc., its owners Tim and Roberta Jackson; Gordon Beck, the driver who delivered the chlorine to the recycling facility, his wife and other John Doe entities or individuals.
Local journalism is essential.
Give directly to The Spokesman-Review's Northwest Passages community forums series -- which helps to offset the costs of several reporter and editor positions at the newspaper -- by using the easy options below. Gifts processed in this system are not tax deductible, but are predominately used to help meet the local financial requirements needed to receive national matching-grant funds.
Subscribe to the Coronavirus newsletter
Get the day’s latest Coronavirus news delivered to your inbox by subscribing to our newsletter.