A Spokane area man sustained burns to 30 percent of his body Tuesday after he lit a cigarette while transporting open containers of gasoline in front of the Multicare Valley Hospital in Spokane Valley.
Before arriving at the hospital, the driver of the car stopped by a gas station to fill a few half gallon cans. The man stuffed paper towels into the spout of the gas cans and drove to Multicare Valley Hospital for an appointment. As he was driving away from the hospital, he lit a cigarette, igniting the fumes in his car, according to a news release.
Spokesman for the Spokane Valley Fire Department Craig Warzon said the vehicle was so damaged by the fire, he wasn’t able to determine its make and model.
Security personnel from the hospital transported the driver to the emergency room.
Local journalism is essential.
Give directly to The Spokesman-Review's Northwest Passages community forums series -- which helps to offset the costs of several reporter and editor positions at the newspaper -- by using the easy options below. Gifts processed in this system are not tax deductible, but are predominately used to help meet the local financial requirements needed to receive national matching-grant funds.
Subscribe to the Coronavirus newsletter
Get the day’s latest Coronavirus news delivered to your inbox by subscribing to our newsletter.