An Idaho resident won the won the 2018 World Elk Calling championship earlier this month.
Corey Jacobsen won his ninth career title at the 2018 competition. Jacobsen is from Donnelly, Idaho.
105 callers competed in the competition which was held in Salt Lake City, according to a news release. The competition went from March 16 through 17.
“The RMEF World Elk Calling Championships have always been a solid foundation for exposing people to elk hunting and elk calling,” said Jacobsen in the release. “With the new head-to-head format, I think it will continue to become more engaging for spectators, which will help us grow and promote something we are passionate about – and that is the fact that hunting is conservation.”
In 2011, Jacobsen dispensed some advice to elk hunters via an Idaho Statesmen story: spokesman.com/blogs/outdoors/2011/jul/08/champion-elk-caller-advises-hunters-work-now-confidence/.
Here is the full list of the 2018 World Elk Calling championships winners:
1. Corey Jacobsen, Donnelly, ID
2. Tom Diesing, Loveland, CO
3. Beau Brooks, La Center, WA
4. Jason Neitzel, Rigby, ID
1. Matt Toyn, Plain City, UT
2. Chris Pastor, West Haven, UT
3. John Simper, Tooele, UT
4. Brayden Langley, McMinnville, OR
1. Marisa Pagano, Rexburg, ID
2. Jessi Sletten, Loveland, CO
3. Lydia Smith, Rigby, ID
4. Amy Morris, Springville, UT
1. Hannah Holiday, Northglenn, CO
2. Samuel Jacobsen, Donnelly, ID
3. Kailee Brimmer, Keno, OR
1. Jacob Simper, Tooele, UT
2. Joseph Simper, Tooele, UT
3. Carson Hill, Idaho Falls, ID
4. Dakota Dunlap, Aumsville, OR
Pee Wee Division
1. Isaac Simper, Tooele, UT
2. Gavin Langley, McMinnville, OR
3. Fisher Lewis, Herriman, UT
4. Ava King, Fruita, CO
Local journalism is essential.
Give directly to The Spokesman-Review's Northwest Passages community forums series -- which helps to offset the costs of several reporter and editor positions at the newspaper -- by using the easy options below. Gifts processed in this system are not tax deductible, but are predominately used to help meet the local financial requirements needed to receive national matching-grant funds.
Subscribe to the sports newsletter
Get the day’s top sports headlines and breaking news delivered to your inbox by subscribing here.