Joe Burrow passed for 200 yards and had two short touchdown runs, LSU’s defense staggered Georgia’s normally prolific offense, and the 13th-ranked Tigers beat the No. 2 Bulldogs 36-16 Saturday to give coach Ed Orgeron a signature victory in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.
Five fourth-down decisions by Orgeron influenced the result. LSU converted all four times it ran an offensive play on fourth down, sustaining three drives that produced a total of 13 points.
(1) Alabama 39, Missouri 10: Tua Tagovailoa passed for 265 yards and three touchdowns before leaving early in the Crimson Tide’s victory over the Tigers in Tuscaloosa, Alabama.
The Crimson Tide shrugged off another would-be challenger in the SEC, but got a scare when the star quarterback went down after sliding at the end of a run in the third quarter.
(3) Ohio State 30, Minnesota 14: Dwayne Haskins threw for 412 yards and three touchdowns and the Buckeyes held off the persistent Golden Gophers in Columbus, Ohio.
(5) Notre Dame 19, Pittsburgh 14: Ian Book threw a 35-yard touchdown pass to Miles Boykin with 5:43 remaining and the Fighting Irish held off the Panthers in South Bend, Indiana, to remain unbeaten.
Iowa State 30, (6) West Virginia 14: Freshman Brock Purdy threw for 254 yards and three TDs and the Cyclones throttled West Virginia in Ames, Iowa, handing the Mountaineers their first loss in emphatic fashion.
Michigan State 21, (8) Penn State 17: Brian Lewerke threw a 25-yard touchdown pass to Felton Davis with 19 seconds left to lift the Spartans over the Nittany Lions in State College, Pennsylvania.
(9) Texas 23, Baylor 17: Shane Buechele came on for injured quarterback Sam Ehlinger early in the first quarter and the Longhorns beat Baylor when the Bears’ final pass sailed through the back of the end zone in Austin, Texas.
(10) UCF 31, Memphis 30: McKenzie Milton threw for 296 yards and ran for the go-ahead touchdown in the fourth quarter as the Knights edged the Tigers in Memphis, Tennessee.
Milton’s 7-yard touchdown with 12:14 left completed a comeback for the Knights, who trailed 30-14 with 2:04 left in the first half.
(12) Michigan 38, (15) Wisconsin 13: Shea Patterson accounted for 214 yards of offense and a touchdown, leading the Wolverines past the Badgers in Ann Arbor, Michigan.
(14) Florida 37, Vanderbilt 27: Jordan Scarlett ran 48 yards for the go-ahead touchdown on the first play of the fourth quarter, and the Gators rallied from an 18-point deficit to beat the Commodores in a game marred by a near brawl, with both head coaches yelling as each team spilled onto the field in Nashville, Tennessee.
Virginia 16, (16) Miami 13: Jordan Ellis ran for a touchdown and the Cavaliers kept the Hurricanes’ high-powered offense from getting going in Charlottesville, Virginia.
Tennessee 30, (21) Auburn 24: Jarrett Guarantano passed for 328 yards and two touchdowns and the Volunteers snapped an 11-game Southeastern Conference losing streak by beating the Tigers in Auburn, Alabama.
(22) Texas A&M 26, South Carolina 23: Kellen Mond threw for 353 yards and freshman Seth Small had four field goals, including the go-ahead kick in the fourth quarter, for the Aggies in Columbia, South Carolina.
Local journalism is essential.
Give directly to The Spokesman-Review's Northwest Passages community forums series -- which helps to offset the costs of several reporter and editor positions at the newspaper -- by using the easy options below. Gifts processed in this system are not tax deductible, but are predominately used to help meet the local financial requirements needed to receive national matching-grant funds.
Subscribe to the sports newsletter
Get the day’s top sports headlines and breaking news delivered to your inbox by subscribing here.