McKenna Woodford, Ella Lajos and Taylor Mims combined for 38 kills Friday as Washington State capped a 2-0 day at the Western Kentucky Tournament in Bowling Green, Kentucky, with a 3-1 win over the host Hilltoppers (7-5).
The 22nd-ranked Cougars (9-0) opened the day with a 3-0 sweep over Northern Illinois (2-11).
Ashley Brown had 39 assists and 11 digs against Western Kentucky. Claire Martin and Jocelyn Urias combined for 13 blocks.
Mims had 15 kills and Woodford added 10 kills while hitting .562 in the opening match to lead the Cougars to their top effort (.459) of the season. Brown added 37 assists.
- Idaho (5-6) lost its two matches at the Fullerton (California) Classic, dropping its night match 3-2 against UC Riverside (5-5). The Vandals hit a season-low .105 while being swept by San Francisco (5-4) in their opener. Idaho couldn’t hold a 20-14 lead in the first set and lost the second 28-26. UI’s Kaela Straw had 19 kills and hit .320 in the evening match. Sarah Sharp added 17 kills and Reece Carman 15 kills and four blocks.
- Alexandra Espinosa had a match-high eight kills and Samantha Boever added 25 assists to lead Eastern Washington (8-3) to a 3-0 sweep over Alcorn State (2-6) at the Cardinal Classic in San Antonio. EWU’s Kennedy Kaminsky added six kills and four blocks.
- Gonzaga (3-7) lost twice at the Sparky Classic in Tempe, Arizona, capped by a 3-1 setback against the host Sun Devils. Texas State (7-5) swept the Bulldogs to open the day. Sarah Penner led GU with nine kills and six digs, and Tiyana Hallums added a match-high 21 digs. Penner had 17 kills and nine digs against ASU. Kennedy Croft added 13 kills.
- Jessica Schmautz, Emiko Kahler and Lauren Budde combined for 39 kills and host Whitworth (7-3) opened Northwest Conference play with a 3-1 win over Willamette (3-6). Erin White added 49 assists and 13 digs for the Pirates. Schmautz added 16 digs and Addy Woolery 15.
- Community Colleges of Spokane improved to 16-0 with three 2-0 sweeps during the first day of the Bellevue crossover tournament. The Sasquatch defeated Whatcom, Grays Harbor and Chemeketa.
- After dropping its opening match to Pierce, North Idaho (10-6) bounced back with 2-0 sweeps over Olympic and Umpqua at the Lower Columbia crossover tournament in Longview, Washington.
Local journalism is essential.
Give directly to The Spokesman-Review's Northwest Passages community forums series -- which helps to offset the costs of several reporter and editor positions at the newspaper -- by using the easy options below. Gifts processed in this system are not tax deductible, but are predominately used to help meet the local financial requirements needed to receive national matching-grant funds.
Subscribe to the sports newsletter
Get the day’s top sports headlines and breaking news delivered to your inbox by subscribing here.