Family of six displaced after chimney fire causes smoke damage in Spokane Valley home
Jan. 4, 2019 Updated Fri., Jan. 4, 2019 at 4:21 p.m.
A family of six was displaced Friday morning after a fire tore through a chimney and ignited the home’s walls.
The Spokane Valley Fire Department was called to the home at 302 N. Argonne Road at about 4:30 a.m., where they found heavy smoke and fire around the living room fireplace, according to a news release. Firefighters were able to quickly extinguished the blaze, but not before the home received extensive smoke damage.
A resident told firefighters they awoke early in the morning to use the bathroom and noticed smoke inside the home, as well as a glow coming from the wall around the fireplace. They woke up their family members and escaped safely.
Altogether, five adults, one child and two dogs were displaced. There were no injuries.
Firefighters said there were no working smoke detectors in the house.
Local journalism is essential.
Give directly to The Spokesman-Review's Northwest Passages community forums series -- which helps to offset the costs of several reporter and editor positions at the newspaper -- by using the easy options below. Gifts processed in this system are not tax deductible, but are predominately used to help meet the local financial requirements needed to receive national matching-grant funds.
Subscribe now to get breaking news alerts in your email inbox
Get breaking news delivered to your inbox as it happens.