BRUMADINHO, Brazil – Brazilian authorities arrested five people Tuesday in connection with a dam collapse that killed at least 65 people and left nearly 300 missing as it plastered part of a small city with reddish-brown mud and iron ore mining waste.
The arrests were made in Sao Paulo and in the state of Minas Gerais, where the collapse happened last Friday. They came as rescue crews began a fifth day searching for survivors or bodies, and some families began burying their dead.
Three of the arrested worked for Vale SA, the mining company that owned and operated the waste dam that collapsed, according to the company. In a statement, Vale said it was cooperating with authorities in the investigation.
A German company that has inspected the dam said two of its employees were arrested. The Munich-based TUEV company Sued declined to specify whether the arrested staff were from its German headquarters or its Brazilian branch.
In ordering the arrests, Minas Gerais judge Perla Saliba Brito wrote that the disaster could have been avoided.
It’s not believable that “dams of such magnitude, run by one of the largest mining companies in the world, would break suddenly without any indication of vulnerability,” the judge wrote in the decision, according to news portal UOL.
Authorities said the five will be detained for 30 days while officials investigate possible criminal responsibility.
Meanwhile Tuesday, at a cemetery in the small Brazilian city of Brumadinho, 15 freshly dug graves awaited the remains of some of those killed.
Wailing in grief at the cemetery was the wife of Edgar Carvalho Santos, one of the mining company’s workers whose body has been found.
“He did not deserve this, he did not deserve it!” she sobbed.
Friends and family members prevented reporters from approaching the woman.
One woman told Santos’ wife that “this was not a tragedy, it’s a crime.” It was a sign of the growing anger at Vale over the disaster.
The company is one of Brazil’s largest and a key employer in Brumadinho, but many residents have complained that a siren that should have gone off to warn people to evacuate never sounded.
Military police Col. Evandro Borges told reporters that the official death toll was 65, though more bodies had been recovered Tuesday and that an updated death toll would be provided later in the day. He said 288 people were still missing, most of them Vale employees.
The dam was part of an iron ore production complex. Vale is the world’s largest producer of the ore, which is the raw ingredient for steel.
Many employees were eating lunch last Friday when the dam collapsed, burying a cafeteria and other company buildings.
Local journalism is essential.
Give directly to The Spokesman-Review's Northwest Passages community forums series -- which helps to offset the costs of several reporter and editor positions at the newspaper -- by using the easy options below. Gifts processed in this system are not tax deductible, but are predominately used to help meet the local financial requirements needed to receive national matching-grant funds.
Subscribe now to get breaking news alerts in your email inbox
Get breaking news delivered to your inbox as it happens.