Arrow-right Camera

The Spokesman-Review Newspaper The Spokesman-Review

Saturday, September 21, 2019  Spokane, Washington  Est. May 19, 1883
Partly Cloudy Night 45° Partly Cloudy
News >  Crime/Public Safety

Firefighters put out attic fire in South Hill home

UPDATED: Mon., June 3, 2019, 8:50 p.m.

Spokane firefighters finish mopping up an attic fire in a two-story house at 423 W. 24th Avenue on Monday, June 24, 2019. Nobody was home at the time of the fire. (Colin Mulvany / The Spokesman-Review)
Spokane firefighters finish mopping up an attic fire in a two-story house at 423 W. 24th Avenue on Monday, June 24, 2019. Nobody was home at the time of the fire. (Colin Mulvany / The Spokesman-Review)

Spokane firefighters extinguished a small house fire Monday on the South Hill.

Multiple fire engines responded to the home at 423 W. 24th Ave. at about 11:45 a.m., where they found flames confined to the home’s attic, said Battalion Chief Darin Neiwert.

The fire started because three air conditioners overheated some electrical wiring that ignited insulation in the attic, according to a news release from the Spokane Fire Department.

Nobody was home at the time, firefighters said.

The flames were quickly extinguished within minutes, however, firefighters had to navigate working around a possibly hazardous material in the attic. No one was hurt.

Subscribe to the Morning Review newsletter

Get the day’s top headlines delivered to your inbox every morning by subscribing to our newsletter.

You have been successfully subscribed!
There was a problem subscribing you to the newsletter. Double check your email and try again, or email webteam@spokesman.com