A chlorine leak at a Lewiston welding supplies store caused an evacuation of the business and surrounding homes on Thursday afternoon.
A hazmat team responded and cleaned up the leak at 2:11 p.m. at OXARC Inc., 2513 Third Ave., according to a news release from the City of Lewiston. No one was harmed.
An employee who reported the leak saw a “150 pound cylinder of chlorine with a green cloud of smoke on the floor around the base of the cylinder,” according to the news release.
The leak was cleaned by 6 p.m., allowing evacuees to return home.
Local journalism is essential.
Give directly to The Spokesman-Review's Northwest Passages community forums series -- which helps to offset the costs of several reporter and editor positions at the newspaper -- by using the easy options below. Gifts processed in this system are not tax deductible, but are predominately used to help meet the local financial requirements needed to receive national matching-grant funds.
Subscribe to the Coronavirus newsletter
Get the day’s latest Coronavirus news delivered to your inbox by subscribing to our newsletter.