ALSC Architects is renovating its fourth-floor office space in downtown Spokane’s Liberty Building, according to city permit data.
The work includes demolition of walls, removal of carpet and casework, reconfiguring of office space and the installation of a DIRTT Wall system, which allows for easy reconfiguration of offices with movable walls and floor-to-ceiling partitions.
The work is valued at $115,000 in the permits.
The company was founded in Spokane in 1948 as McClure & Adkison, one of the leading companies to bring modern architecture to Spokane, according to the city’s historic preservation office.
The original partnership of Royal McClure and Tom Adkison designed the Miesian Style Studio Apartments, Stephan Dental Clinic, Cornelius House and the little-known but lauded modern studio apartments on Sixth Street on the South Hill, which were selected by New York’s Museum of Modern Art in New York as standing exhibit in the museum’s architectural division. Other designs from the company’s first decades include the Meenach House, Unitarian Church and the John F. Kennedy Pavilion at Gonzaga University.
Adkison was the executive architect of Expo ’74.
Over the years, the firm gained and lost principal architects, but Adkison remained. In 1973, the company became Adkison Leigh Sims Cuppage Architects, and in 1987 it became ALSC Architects.
Davis Contracting Inc., of Spokane, is the project’s contractor. ALSC did the design.
Local journalism is essential.
Give directly to The Spokesman-Review's Northwest Passages community forums series -- which helps to offset the costs of several reporter and editor positions at the newspaper -- by using the easy options below. Gifts processed in this system are not tax deductible, but are predominately used to help meet the local financial requirements needed to receive national matching-grant funds.
Subscribe to the Coronavirus newsletter
Get the day’s latest Coronavirus news delivered to your inbox by subscribing to our newsletter.