Spokane County is investigating multiple cases of South Hill residents reporting their dogs were poisoned based on information from a local animal clinic.
The Spokane County Regional Animal Protection Service, or SCRAPS, was in contact with one clinic client whose dog died as of Thursday, according to Jared Webley, a county spokesman.
The dog had seizures before it died, and its blood work showed signs of toxicity, so the treating veterinarian determined poisoning was a possible manner of death, Webley said. But a necropsy was not performed.
Webley said a necropsy will be performed on a second deceased dog to determine its cause of death.
The clinic is still asking other affected clients to come forward to SCRAPS, Webley said.
Veterinarians determined that dogs owned by people who spoke with KHQ did not exhibit signs that they were poisoned, Webley said. A clinic determined one dog appeared to be suffering from digestive issues due to eating foreign objects, and its blood work did not identify any toxins.
Blood work from another dog was inconclusive and a veterinarian said its symptoms did not point to poisoning, Webley said.
Subscribe to the Morning Review newsletter
Get the day’s top headlines delivered to your inbox every morning by subscribing to our newsletter.