It’s National Margarita Day! If that isn’t reason enough to enjoy the strong tequila and fruit-flavored libation today – and tomorrow, too, as it’s the weekend, so treat yourself, splurge, you deserve it – the team at House Method conducted research on the cost of making a margarita in each state.
House Method collected data on the cost of purchasing five margarita ingredients from grocery and liquor stores in each state and calculated the price to reflect how much a single margarita would cost. Washington was … drum roll, please … one of the cheapest. Here are some of the findings:
· The most expensive states to make a margarita are Alabama ($3.00), Arkansas ($2.90), Tennessee ($2.86), New York ($2.84) and North Carolina ($2.84).
· The cheapest states to make a margarita are Arizona ($2.01), California ($2.12), Colorado ($2.19), Minnesota ($2.21), and New Mexico ($2.22).
Washington blended in at 10th place at $2.31, joining Arizona, California, Colorado, New Mexico and Nevada (in seventh at $2.28) in the Western U.S.’s margarita dominance.
Two of my favorite margaritas in Spokane can be found at Cochinito Taqueria (10 N. Post St., (509) 474-9618 and cochinitotaqueria.com) + Cascadia Public House (6314 N. Ash St., (509) 321-7051 and cascadiapublichouse.com), partly because the cut-above-the-rest concoctions are available during Happy Hour, and they don’t skimp on flavor and excellence.
Meantime, here are the Top 10 margaritas in Spokane courtesy of Yelp, and I am pleased that we are in agreement on Spokane’s top margarita:
1. Cochinito Taqueria
2. Rancho Chico, 2023 W. Northwest Blvd., (509) 327-2723 and ranchochicospokane.com
3. Volstead Act, 12 N. Post St. (the only non-Mexican restaurant on this list, and it’s so close to Cochinito!), (509) 808-2516 and volsteadactspokane.com
4. El Que, 141 S. Cannon St., (509) 624-5412
5. La Plaza de Mexico, 9420 E. Sprague Ave., (509) 924-3959 and laplazademexico.com
6. Borracho Tacos & Tequileria, 211 N. Division St., (509) 822-7789 and borrachospokane.com
7. El Rincon Tapatio, 3207 N. Market St., (509) 483-2967
8. Taqueria Fiesta Brava, 820 E. Francis Ave., (509) 489-4514
9. Pueblo Amigo, 4903 N. Division St., (509) 327-7349 and puebloamigospokane.com
10. Rincon Tapatio, 1212 N. Hamilton St., (509) 473-5983
Drink responsibly, and don’t drink and drive.
Subscribe to the Spokane7 email newsletter
Get the day’s top entertainment headlines delivered to your inbox every morning.