Arrow-right Camera
The Spokesman-Review Newspaper

The Spokesman-Review Newspaper The Spokesman-Review

Spokane, Washington  Est. May 19, 1883
Cloudy 43° Cloudy
News >  Crime/Public Safety

Man shot into CdA crowd while awaiting COVID-19 results, court records say

UPDATED: Wed., July 15, 2020

A Montana man awaiting COVID-19 test results shot into a crowd after being kicked out of a bar in downtown Coeur d’Alene Saturday night, injuring two people, court records say.

Austin L. Sherper, 24, of Whitefish, was arrested Sunday following a standoff with a SWAT unit, according to court documents. He was charged with two counts of aggravated assault.

Both victims who sustained gunshot wounds have since been released from the hospital.

Police first responded to reports of a shooting in the alley behind the Iron Horse Bar and Grill just after 9 p.m. Saturday.

Police found a victim, Zachary Lyons, who was alert and mobile despite having several gunshot wounds on his left arm and chest, court records say.

Lyons and his wife, Kayla, who sustained injuries to her face, were transported to the hospital.

Court records say that the incident began when Sherper was kicked out of a nearby bar, left the area, returned, pulled up to a group of people and pointed a black handgun at them.

A witness said that he started shooting at a group of three people, though none was hit. Sherper then drove his truck a bit further and “unloaded” his gun at three other people hiding in an alley, according to witness statements in court records.

The Lyonses told police they knew the shooter as “Austin” and that he had left the area saying he was going to come back and kill everybody, according to court records.

A friend of Sherper who was still in the area told officers that Sherper drove a truck that matched witnesses’ descriptions.

He also said Sherper had a firearm in the truck but had not been carrying it while drinking.

The friend gave police an address on the 400 block of East Foster Avenue where Sherper was staying while visiting Coeur d’Alene.

When police arrived at the address, they saw a man matching Sherper’s description.

Officers began closing in on the area, and Sherper ran into the house, according to court records.

Police gave commands over the loud speaker for Sherper to exit.

Eventually, Sherper came to a downstairs window, flipped off the police and motioned for them to come to him, according to court records.

After a standoff that lasted a few hours, Sherper was taken into custody.

Sherper told police he hadn’t come out sooner because he had to clean up and take a shower, according to court records.

After being transported to the Coeur d’Alene Police Department, Sherper was asked if he had any COVID-19 symptoms. Sherper told police he had been tested two days before but didn’t have his results back yet, according to court documents.

Sherper was transported to the public safety building to be booked but was uncooperative and had to be placed in a safety cell, where he was beating on the door and screaming, according to court records.

Records do not indicate if Sherper’s COVID-19 test results have come back.

He is being held on $250,000 bond.

The Spokesman-Review Newspaper

Local journalism is essential.

Give directly to The Spokesman-Review's Northwest Passages community forums series -- which helps to offset the costs of several reporter and editor positions at the newspaper -- by using the easy options below. Gifts processed in this system are not tax deductible, but are predominately used to help meet the local financial requirements needed to receive national matching-grant funds.

Active Person

Subscribe to the Coronavirus newsletter

Get the day’s latest Coronavirus news delivered to your inbox by subscribing to our newsletter.