RALEIGH, N.C. – North Carolina’s governor said in a letter Tuesday that the GOP must prepare for a scaled-back convention in Charlotte because of the coronavirus pandemic despite demands from President Donald Trump for a full-scale, in-person event.
Gov. Roy Cooper, a Democrat, said in the letter to the top convention organizer and the national GOP chairwoman that he’s happy to continue conversations over how to hold the convention safely, and is still awaiting a safety plan requested by North Carolina officials.
“The people of North Carolina do not know what the status of COVID-19 will be in August, so planning for a scaled-down convention with fewer people, social distancing and face coverings is a necessity,” Cooper said in the letter.
The letter comes on the eve of a deadline from GOP officials that Cooper answer them by Wednesday on whether they can hold a full-scale convention in Charlotte in August. The convention has been in the planning stages for two years.
Last week, Trump demanded assurances from Cooper that he could hold a full-scale event and wanted an answer within a week. He has threatened to move the event otherwise.
Local journalism is essential.
Give directly to The Spokesman-Review's Northwest Passages community forums series -- which helps to offset the costs of several reporter and editor positions at the newspaper -- by using the easy options below. Gifts processed in this system are not tax deductible, but are predominately used to help meet the local financial requirements needed to receive national matching-grant funds.
Subscribe to the Coronavirus newsletter
Get the day’s latest Coronavirus news delivered to your inbox by subscribing to our newsletter.