Arrow-right Camera
The Spokesman-Review Newspaper

The Spokesman-Review Newspaper The Spokesman-Review

Spokane, Washington  Est. May 19, 1883
Partly Cloudy Night 65° Partly Cloudy
News >  Spokane

Spokane Valley Fire roundup: Who’s a good dog? Pet alerts Greenacres family something amiss in garage

A dog saved the day by alerting a family that their garage was on fire in the area of Greenacres and Moen roads just before 10 p.m. on May 11. Everyone was able to get out safely.

The homeowner told firefighters that the dog was acting strangely and when she went to put the dog out, she noticed the ceiling fan wasn’t working, said Spokane Valley Fire Department spokeswoman Julie Happy. A man inside the home went to the garage to check the breaker and found the garage filled with smoke.

The man was spraying the garage down with a garden hose when firefighters arrived, and the fire was mostly out.

A Department of Natural Resources fire crew had a scare at 8:45 a.m. on May 11 when they were driving down the road in a fire engine and the fuel pump failed, spraying the engine with diesel fuel. When fire crews arrived in the area of Starr Road and Heather Lane they found that the DNR crew had used a fire extinguisher to put out the fire.

Other calls from May 11-17

May 11: An unusual fire was reported in the area of Pines Road and Southwood Lane just before 5 a.m. Crews found a burning storage locker outside a duplex with a gas can nearby. The fire is under investigation. An employee at the gas station at 2702 N. Sullivan called at 1:45 p.m. to report that the back end of an RV was on fire. Bystanders were using a fire extinguisher on it. The fire was out when crews arrived, but they discovered a significant gas leak from the gas tank.

May 13: A caller reported that a trailer was on fire in an RV Park just before 4:30 a.m. When crews arrived they found a man using a garden hose to wet down a smoldering pile of debris. He told firefighters that a boat he was storing his belongings in had caught fire. Firefighters noticed a burned extension cord and battery charger attached to the boat. The fire is under investigation.

May 14: A woman was hit by a car in the 7100 block of East Trent at 7:30 a.m. She was transported to a local hospital. A caller said he saw a van hit a biker in the area of Appleway and Dishman Mica at 3:45 p.m. The bicyclist rode away, but was located nearby and refused medical treatment.

May 15: A large column of smoke was reported in the 5300 block of North Moore Road at 12:46 p.m. Crews found a 15-by-15-foot pile of burning yard debris. The landowner had a DNR burn permit, but the fire was much larger than allowed and there was no water hose on standby. When the landowner arrived he was upset and used a forklift to break down the pile. A vehicle fire was reported in the area of Pierce and Bowdish roads at 8:16 p.m. The engine compartment of a pickup was on fire, and neighbors were trying to put it out with a hose. The truck’s owner said he was doing work on the fuel pump when the gas caught on fire. At one point there was burning gas flowing down the street. Two other cars parked nearby were damaged.

May 16: An illegal fire was reported in the area of East Broadway and East Alki avenues at 9:45 a.m. The homeowner had a legal fire pit in his backyard, but he was burning yard debris. When he was told that was illegal, he said his neighbors do it all the time. The fire was put out.

May 17: A woman reported shortly before 10:30 a.m. that her husband was trapped in the garage in the area of Cherry Street and Houk Road and had been trying to get out for hours. The garage door was old, the wheels were off the track and the track was broken. Firefighters pried the bottom panel of the door loose and the man was able to crawl out.

By the numbers: Crews responded to 317 calls the week of May 11-17, including 242 calls for emergency medical services. Other responses included 13 car crashes, two children locked inside cars, several expired and chirping carbon monoxide detectors, several illegal outdoor fires where dimensional lumber was being burned and burning food that activated a smoke alarm.

The Spokesman-Review Newspaper

Local journalism is essential.

Give directly to The Spokesman-Review's Northwest Passages community forums series -- which helps to offset the costs of several reporter and editor positions at the newspaper -- by using the easy options below. Gifts processed in this system are not tax deductible, but are predominately used to help meet the local financial requirements needed to receive national matching-grant funds.

Active Person

Subscribe to the Coronavirus newsletter

Get the day’s latest Coronavirus news delivered to your inbox by subscribing to our newsletter.