A fire that engulfed a detached shop in Spokane Valley early Saturday morning spread to a nearby house and an RV parked in its driveway.
Several people reported the fire at 11220 E. 25th Ave. around 1:30 a.m., according to the Spokane Valley Fire Department.
A fire safety officer was unable to walk around the whole property to assess the fire because his path was blocked by flames, according to the fire department.
One of the residents told firefighters he had been working in the detached shop earlier in the evening and stoked its wood stove before going to bed around 10 p.m., according to the fire department. The shop was fully engulfed in flames when he woke up.
Investigators believe the shop was the origin of the fire, according to the fire department.
Crews dismantled the front of the shop and removed what was remaining of the roof to attack that fire, according to the fire department. Power was also shut off to the property.
Fire spread to the attic of the home, and crews had to extinguish hot spots in the ceiling above the kitchen. Smoke also spread to the basement.
The only occupant of the home was not injured, but a dog died in the fire, according to the fire department. Two other residents were out of town.
The Red Cross is assisting the displaced residents because the home cannot be occupied, according to the fire department.
Local journalism is essential.
Give directly to The Spokesman-Review's Northwest Passages community forums series -- which helps to offset the costs of several reporter and editor positions at the newspaper -- by using the easy options below. Gifts processed in this system are not tax deductible, but are predominately used to help meet the local financial requirements needed to receive national matching-grant funds.
Subscribe to the Coronavirus newsletter
Get the day’s latest Coronavirus news delivered to your inbox by subscribing to our newsletter.