July 14, 1950: “City Commissioners today officially adopted the name of Spokane Memorial Stadium. Commissioner Wallace Sproul made the motion that the Chronicle contest prize winner name be adopted. Among hundreds who sent in entries, more than 70 suggested the name ‘Spokane Memorial Stadium.’ The judges gave the award to Mrs. Rust, on the strength of her accompanying letter which embodied the idea that the stadium be a permanent memorial not only to out war heroes but to all who have had a part in building Spokane and the Inland Empire.” (Spokane Daily Chronicle, July 14, 1950).
The citizens and 26 clubs and organizations started fundraising in 1948. Two years later they raised $600,000 to build the stadium. “They were overjoyed to present as a gift to the city, free and clear, a memorial to the city’s sons who gave their lives in their country’s wars. It was to be a lasting and useful monument to their civic pride, for its happy people.” (The Spokesman-Review, Sept. 10, 1950).
(The Veterans Memorial Preservation and Recognition Act of 2003), “establishes criminal penalties for anyone who wilfully injures or destroys or attempts to injure or destroy veterans’ memorials including any structure, plaque, statue or other monument on public property commemorating the service of any person or persons in th eArmed Forces of the United States.” Under that statute, anyone convicted of those acts could be fines and/or imprisoned for no more than 10 years or both.
Spokane Memorial Stadium “honoring those of this state who dies for their country.” (Two stadium monument markers, Sept. 1950).