An accidental flash fire surrounded a man in his garage Tuesday morning, injuring two people.
At 9:45 a.m. , firefighters responded to the residential fire in the 900 block of East 29th Avenue. The first company arrived within 4 minutes and found an extinguished fire in an attached garage.
Two men had been doing some work in a very clean and organized attached garage, unaware gas cans were releasing vapor, Spokane fire chief Brian Schaeffer said.
A propane heater in the garage ignited the vapors, causing a flash explosion, Schaeffer said.
The men used two fire extinguishers nearby to put out the remaining flames after the explosion, Schaeffer said.
“He was pretty well trapped inside there until they got the fire extinguishers,” Schaeffer said.
Firefighters took the two injured victims from the garage, a news release said. Spokane Fire Department paramedics began treating their injuries, reported as minor, and transported the two to a local hospital. The two have been released, Schaeffer said.
The release directed community members to store flammable liquids in approved containers and far away from ignition sources. Flammable liquids should be stored in well-ventilated areas to reduce the possibility of vapor concentrations, the release said.
Local journalism is essential.
Give directly to The Spokesman-Review's Northwest Passages community forums series -- which helps to offset the costs of several reporter and editor positions at the newspaper -- by using the easy options below. Gifts processed in this system are not tax deductible, but are predominately used to help meet the local financial requirements needed to receive national matching-grant funds.
Subscribe to the Coronavirus newsletter
Get the day’s latest Coronavirus news delivered to your inbox by subscribing to our newsletter.