Backyard fires and cooking fires kept crews from the Spokane Valley Fire Department busy the week of Sept. 21-27, but it was a leaking gas can that caused the most issues.
Crews were called to a commercial building at Woodruff Road and Montgomery Avenue at 10:43 a.m. on Sept. 26 on a report of a strong smell that was causing people to feel sick, department spokeswoman Julie Happy said. A corroded gas can labeled “racing fuel” was found behind a dumpster. It was leaking a liquid that was the source of the odor.
A hazardous materials team was called in to deal with the leaking container while the building was evacuated.
Other calls, Sept. 21-27
Sept. 21: A fire alarm summoned crews to a home in the 1600 block of South Evergreen Road at 11 a.m. The homeowner said she burned food on the stove, and there was no fire.
Sept. 22: A small grass fire was reported behind a dance hall near Sullivan Park on North Sullivan Road. Crews found a slow moving 30-by-30-foot fire. A perimeter was dug around the fire, and the fire was extinguished. The Department of Natural Resources assisted.
Sept. 23: A malfunctioning fire alarm summoned crews to a building in the 15400 block of East Sprague Avenue at 10:55 a.m. The alarm has been having issues and needs to be replaced. A possible illegal fire was reported in the 2000 block of North Bessie Road at 8:15 p.m. The homeowner said he thought the burn ban had been canceled because rain was expected. The burn ban remains in effect, and he was told to put out the fire. A car crash was reported in the 15100 block of East Eighth Avenue at 11:56 p.m. The driver’s side was heavily damaged, and the back half of the vehicle was in a hedge. Crews reported the odor of alcohol.
Sept. 24: Residents in the 6900 block of North Idaho Road reported a power pole that was broken in half and burning at 1:46 a.m. The fire was put out, and Avista Utilities was called. A power pole fire was reported in the 19800 block of East Eighth Avenue at 2:55 a.m., which forced the closure of the road. Avista was called. Burning food triggered a fire alarm in an apartment complex at Mission Avenue and Eaglebend Lane at 6:51 p.m.
Sept. 25: A car fire was reported in the 9700 block of East Upriver Drive at 5:53 a.m. A small fire was found in the wiring harness leading to the alternator, and it was put out.
Sept. 26: A fire alarm was reported at 5421 N. Corrigan Road at 6:29 p.m. Crews found a bay door with black scorching and a sprinkler system that had activated, but no fire.
Sept. 27: An alarm also sounded in the 12900 block of East 12th Avenue at 3:25 p.m. The alarm was set off by someone cooking bacon, and there was no fire. Another alarm sounded in the 13000 block of North Lily Road at 6:04 p.m. The homeowner said she had spilled some corn on the burner, and there was no fire.
By the numbers: Crews responded to 346 calls the week of Sept. 20-28, including, 279 calls for emergency medical services. Additional calls included a woman reporting a chemical smell that turned out to be marijuana, a natural gas odor in a home traced to a faulty furnace igniter, a toddler accidentally locked inside a vehicle, and a woman locked inside her vehicle by a malfunctioning door lock.
Local journalism is essential.
Give directly to The Spokesman-Review's Northwest Passages community forums series -- which helps to offset the costs of several reporter and editor positions at the newspaper -- by using the easy options below. Gifts processed in this system are not tax deductible, but are predominately used to help meet the local financial requirements needed to receive national matching-grant funds.
Subscribe to the Coronavirus newsletter
Get the day’s latest Coronavirus news delivered to your inbox by subscribing to our newsletter.