Arrow-right Camera
Go to e-Edition Sign up for newsletters Customer service
Subscribe now
Opinion >  Letters

COVID overraction

President Abe Lincoln said, “You can fool some of the people sometimes. You can fool some people always. But you cannot fool all people all the time.”

America, including politicians, wake up and speak up! We are being snowballed and given a very rough time by public health, as dictated by the extremely critical/overreactive/overcautious federal officials; Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; NHS, etc.

Yes, the COVID-19 is a serious matter and very contagious. But let’s look at numbers and percentages for the deaths. One million of the 7.3 billion population (the world) is only 0.013%. 200,000 for what, 320 million people (U.S.A.) is just 0.063%. Earlier, SRN news surveyed U.S. deaths. 67% were elderly with underlying factors, many in their last days and months in adult care. The remaining 33% tallies to 0.015% of the total U.S. population.

Most COVID-19 cases have mild to moderate symptoms. Yes, like any other ailment (coughs, fever, sneezing) they should stay isolated at home for a few days. Only a few have to be hospitalized. A very high percentage recovers and survives. How many times has the government (agency, bureau, service, etc.) “miscued,” overreacting with hasty, emotional decisions dictating policies with little or no research or no public commentary? Examples: the spotted owl habitat, the ban on cyclamate, the freon ban, the misconception that mankind is causing climate change, etc.

“We have met the enemy, ourselves!” (Famous quote). Why ruin the economy and bankrupt the country for a few lives?

Errol Kramer

Ritzville


 

Letters policy

The Spokesman-Review invites original letters on topics of public interest. Your letter must adhere to the following rules:

  • No more than 250 words
  • We reserve the right to reject letters that are not factually correct, racist or are written with malice.
  • We cannot accept more than one letter a month from the same writer.
  • With each letter, include your daytime phone number and street address.
  • The Spokesman-Review retains the nonexclusive right to archive and re-publish any material submitted for publication.
Unfortunately, we don’t have space to publish all letters received, nor are we able to acknowledge their receipt.
Click here to learn more.

Submit letters using any of the following:

Our online form

Mail: Letters to the Editor
The Spokesman-Review
999 W. Riverside Ave.
Spokane, WA 99201

Email: editor@spokesman.com
Fax: (509) 459-3815
Questions?: (509) 459-5430