Arrow-right Camera
The Spokesman-Review Newspaper

The Spokesman-Review Newspaper The Spokesman-Review

Spokane, Washington  Est. May 19, 1883
Partly Cloudy Day 63° Partly Cloudy
News >  Washington

Firefighters: At least 2 residents displaced, 3 cats rescued from Spokane apartment fire

UPDATED: Mon., April 12, 2021

Spokane firefighters work to douse a blaze Sunday at a 32-unit apartment complex on Mission Avenue and Washington Street.  (Courtesy of the Spokane Fire Department)
Spokane firefighters work to douse a blaze Sunday at a 32-unit apartment complex on Mission Avenue and Washington Street. (Courtesy of the Spokane Fire Department)

At least two residents of a 32-unit Spokane apartment complex were displaced Sunday by a fire caused by a candle placed “too close to combustibles,” according to the Spokane Fire Department.

The fire was reported at around 6:15 p.m. at the West 315 Apartments on Mission Avenue and Washington Street.

The caller reported smoke from a second-floor apartment window and a fire alarm going off, according to the fire department.

Firefighters arrived within five minutes to a blaze on the second floor of the three-story apartment building.

The building, according to the fire department, is equipped with a fire and life safety system that includes a commercial fire sprinkler system, which did help keep the fire’s growth under control until personnel arrived.

More than 30 firefighters were needed to search the burning apartment, evacuate nearby units and survey the damage, firefighters said.

Nobody was injured, while firefighters rescued three cats.

Those affected have accepted assistance from the Greater Inland Northwest Chapter of the Red Cross. Firefighters said Monday afternoon that up to six more disabled residents could be temporarily relocated.

Investigators determined the cause of the fire was accidental.

“The SFD reminds our community that when using lit candles, to place them in sturdy, safe candle holders that will not burn or tip over,” department officials said in a statement. “Although we prefer battery-operated flameless candles, if candles are used, please keep them at least 12 inches from materials that can burn and never leave a candle unattended.”

The Spokesman-Review Newspaper

Local journalism is essential.

Give directly to The Spokesman-Review's Northwest Passages community forums series -- which helps to offset the costs of several reporter and editor positions at the newspaper -- by using the easy options below. Gifts processed in this system are not tax deductible, but are predominately used to help meet the local financial requirements needed to receive national matching-grant funds.

Active Person

Subscribe to the Coronavirus newsletter

Get the day’s latest Coronavirus news delivered to your inbox by subscribing to our newsletter.