Arrow-right Camera
The Spokesman-Review Newspaper

The Spokesman-Review Newspaper The Spokesman-Review

Spokane, Washington  Est. May 19, 1883
Clear Day 65° Clear
News >  Crime/Public Safety

Structure fire in downtown Spokane extinguished after sending black plume of smoke into sky

UPDATED: Sat., July 24, 2021

Spokane firefighters respond to a gazebo fire atop the Cook Building at 811 W. Second Ave. Saturday. The third floor under the gazebo sustained water damage.  (DAN PELLE/THE SPOKESMAN-REVIEW)
Spokane firefighters respond to a gazebo fire atop the Cook Building at 811 W. Second Ave. Saturday. The third floor under the gazebo sustained water damage. (DAN PELLE/THE SPOKESMAN-REVIEW)
By Sydney Brown and Alayna Shulman The Spokesman-Review

A structure in downtown Spokane near Interstate 90 triggered a major response and sent a black plume of smoke into the sky Saturday.

A large black plume was visible as of about 3:30 p.m. south of the Steam Plant, and flames could be seen coming from the top of the Cook Building on Second Avenue.

Heavy black smoke from a fire on the roof of Gina’s Design Studio is seen from the rooftop of the Chronicle building in downtown Spokane on Saturday.  (Alayna Shulman/THE SPOKESMAN-REVIEW)
Heavy black smoke from a fire on the roof of Gina’s Design Studio is seen from the rooftop of the Chronicle building in downtown Spokane on Saturday. (Alayna Shulman/THE SPOKESMAN-REVIEW)

By about 4 p.m., the smoke had dissipated and firefighters could be seen on the building’s roof.

A Spokane Fire Department battalion chief at the scene said the fire started on the rooftop of Gina’s Design Center and burned a gazebo and at one point the flames reached 30 to 40 feet.

One person was inside and immediately evacuated, while someone helped a dog escape as well, according to the fire department.

Smoke from a structure fire in downtown Spokane is seen from downtown Saturday.  (Courtesy photo)
Smoke from a structure fire in downtown Spokane is seen from downtown Saturday. (Courtesy photo)

There were no injuries.

The third floor, under the gazebo, has some water damage, firefighters said.

While there are other apartments in the same building, firefighters said the fire didn’t spread beyond Gina’s.

The Spokesman-Review Newspaper

Local journalism is essential.

Give directly to The Spokesman-Review's Northwest Passages community forums series -- which helps to offset the costs of several reporter and editor positions at the newspaper -- by using the easy options below. Gifts processed in this system are not tax deductible, but are predominately used to help meet the local financial requirements needed to receive national matching-grant funds.

Active Person

Subscribe to the Coronavirus newsletter

Get the day’s latest Coronavirus news delivered to your inbox by subscribing to our newsletter.