Arrow-right Camera
The Spokesman-Review Newspaper

The Spokesman-Review Newspaper The Spokesman-Review

Spokane, Washington  Est. May 19, 1883
Partly Cloudy Night 59° Partly Cloudy
News >  Crime/Public Safety

House fire in Northwest Spokane caused by charging lithium-ion battery

UPDATED: Fri., May 14, 2021

A house fire in the 6000 block of North Oak Street Friday was caused by a charging battery that overheated, according to a Spokane Fire Department news release.

The first company to arrive just after 9 a.m. reported light smoke coming from the back of a single-story house, the release said. Firefighters found the fire in the basement and worked fast, the release said, limiting fire damage to the room where it started.

At the same time, companies searched the building for occupants and created ventilation to remove smoke and dangerous gasses, the release said. There were no injuries for occupants or firefighters.

The fire started accidentally when a lithium-ion battery overheated while being charged. The battery then ignited combustible material that was resting on top of the device, the release said.

The Spokane Fire Department emphasized that belongings should be separated from charging batteries, including routine items laptops or children’s toys, and residents should make sure they have working smoke alarms installed.

The Spokesman-Review Newspaper

Local journalism is essential.

Give directly to The Spokesman-Review's Northwest Passages community forums series -- which helps to offset the costs of several reporter and editor positions at the newspaper -- by using the easy options below. Gifts processed in this system are not tax deductible, but are predominately used to help meet the local financial requirements needed to receive national matching-grant funds.

Active Person

Subscribe to the Coronavirus newsletter

Get the day’s latest Coronavirus news delivered to your inbox by subscribing to our newsletter.