A family of four was displaced Wednesday evening after its Airway Heights apartment unit caught on fire, Airway Heights Fire Department Deputy Chief Mike Makela said.
The fire took place at about 5:50 p.m. at the Basalt Ridge Apartments, 13660 W. Sixth Ave. Makela said the fire was ruled to be a cooking fire.
One of the family members was hospitalized due to smoke inhalation but was conscious when first responders arrived, Makela said.
The apartment building’s sprinkler system extinguished the fire by the time the fire department arrived. Smoke and water damage was limited to the single unit, and no other occupants in the apartment building were displaced, he said.
The Red Cross helped the family find shelter, Makela said.
“Our safety message for everybody is that a single sprinkler head put out a fire and saved lives,” Makela said. “Check your smoke detectors.”
Local journalism is essential.
Give directly to The Spokesman-Review's Northwest Passages community forums series -- which helps to offset the costs of several reporter and editor positions at the newspaper -- by using the easy options below. Gifts processed in this system are not tax deductible, but are predominately used to help meet the local financial requirements needed to receive national matching-grant funds.
Subscribe now to get breaking news alerts in your email inbox
Get breaking news delivered to your inbox as it happens.