Smoke on the top floors of The Spokesman-Review building drew a large response from the Spokane Fire Department on Tuesday night.
Battalion Chief Jim Schaffer said firefighters discovered light smoke throughout the seventh floor. No flames were found.
Schaffer said the heating, ventilation and air conditioning system may have caused the smoke in the building, located on the corner of Riverside Avenue and Monroe Street.
The call was reported at 7:25 p.m., and the dozens of crew members cleared a little after 9 p.m., at which point residents and employees were allowed back into the building.
He said maintenance crews assessed the situation further.
“These ones are a pain because you just got to chase them everywhere and try to figure out what’s going on and where,” Schaffer said.
Local journalism is essential.
Give directly to The Spokesman-Review's Northwest Passages community forums series -- which helps to offset the costs of several reporter and editor positions at the newspaper -- by using the easy options below. Gifts processed in this system are not tax deductible, but are predominately used to help meet the local financial requirements needed to receive national matching-grant funds.
Subscribe now to get breaking news alerts in your email inbox
Get breaking news delivered to your inbox as it happens.