An apparent electrical fire burned two apartments in a 24-unit complex off North Colton Road early Sunday morning, the Spokane Fire Department said in a news release.
The fire was reported around 2 a.m. in the 7000 block of North Colton Street. A fire in a second-floor unit had spread to the apartment above and an attic space, according to the news release. The fire was extinguished within 20 minutes.
Sixteen tenants and four dogs were displaced, but no injuries to occupants or firefighters were reported. The department’s Special Investigation Unit is looking into the cause, but “initial indications point to an electrical problem,” the department said in its news release.
The department urges the public to plug large appliances into wall outlets, not extension cords, to prevent overheating and sparking.
Local journalism is essential.
Give directly to The Spokesman-Review's Northwest Passages community forums series -- which helps to offset the costs of several reporter and editor positions at the newspaper -- by using the easy options below. Gifts processed in this system are not tax deductible, but are predominately used to help meet the local financial requirements needed to receive national matching-grant funds.
Subscribe now to get breaking news alerts in your email inbox
Get breaking news delivered to your inbox as it happens.