Arrow-right Camera
The Spokesman-Review Newspaper

The Spokesman-Review Newspaper The Spokesman-Review

Spokane, Washington  Est. May 19, 1883
Partly Cloudy Night 31° Partly Cloudy
News >  Crime/Public Safety

Unattended stove fire causes smoke damage at Spokane Valley home Sunday morning

Nov. 13, 2022 Updated Sun., Nov. 13, 2022 at 9:42 p.m.

An unattended tea kettle sparked a house fire in Spokane Valley on Sunday morning, according to the fire department.

Smoke was reported at a home in the 17200 block of East Coach Drive by firefighters in the area just before 10 a.m. Sunday, according to a Spokane Valley Fire Department news release. Crews arrived on scene and found a woman in the front yard with smoke billowing from the home.

The fire damage was limited to the kitchen and an attic space. The woman said she’d left a tea kettle of water on the stove and left the room before her smoke alarms alerted her to the fire. She was unable to retrieve her cellphone due to the smoke, according to the news release.

The woman was checked at the scene for smoke inhalation symptoms. No injuries to her or firefighters were reported.

The Spokane Valley Fire Department asks that residents remain in the room when heating items over an open flame.

The Spokesman-Review Newspaper

Local journalism is essential.

Give directly to The Spokesman-Review's Northwest Passages community forums series -- which helps to offset the costs of several reporter and editor positions at the newspaper -- by using the easy options below. Gifts processed in this system are not tax deductible, but are predominately used to help meet the local financial requirements needed to receive national matching-grant funds.

Active Person

Subscribe now to get breaking news alerts in your email inbox

Get breaking news delivered to your inbox as it happens.