Arrow-right Camera
The Spokesman-Review Newspaper

The Spokesman-Review Newspaper The Spokesman-Review

Spokane, Washington  Est. May 19, 1883
Partly Cloudy Day 34° Partly Cloudy
News >  Crime/Public Safety

Man sentenced to more than 4 years in prison for standoff with SWAT that resulted in burned home

Oct. 4, 2022 Updated Tue., Oct. 4, 2022 at 8:32 p.m.

The 38-year-old man acquitted of burning his father’s north Spokane home last October during a SWAT standoff will spend a little more than four years in prison for charges related to the incident.

Spokane County Superior Court Judge John Cooney on Thursday sentenced Brian N. Olson to 51 months for felony harassment (threats to kill), said deputy prosecutor Michael Jolstead. Cooney imposed a one-year sentence for fourth-degree assault and three months for resisting arrest, both misdemeanors, but those sentences will run at the same time as the harassment sentence.

Last month, a jury found Olson not guilty of first-degree arson.

Olson demanded his father, Eric Olson, repay him money, accused him of telling his mother he was buying drugs, then kicked his dad in the side of the face Oct. 20 inside Eric Olson’s residence on North Crestline Street, according to court documents.

Eric Olson left and called the police. Authorities, including the Spokane County Sheriff’s Office SWAT team, responded to the home and the younger Olson refused to come out, according to documents. Law enforcement noted smoke coming from the roof.

Authorities left the scene and Olson remained in the home after several hours of unsuccessful communication with Olson, court records said. The SWAT team returned the next day to search the house.

SWAT personnel said the inside of the house was smoky, but they did not see a fire. Law enforcement breached the windows to a bedroom and the room was blackened and burned, documents said.

Court records said the severity of the charring indicated the materials inside the room had likely been smoldering and burning overnight. The fire in the charred bedroom reignited and spread.

Firefighters extinguished the flames and the SWAT team arrested the younger Olson.

Jolstead said Olson will serve nine months of community custody, or probation, when released from prison.

The Spokesman-Review Newspaper

Local journalism is essential.

Give directly to The Spokesman-Review's Northwest Passages community forums series -- which helps to offset the costs of several reporter and editor positions at the newspaper -- by using the easy options below. Gifts processed in this system are not tax deductible, but are predominately used to help meet the local financial requirements needed to receive national matching-grant funds.

Active Person

Subscribe now to get breaking news alerts in your email inbox

Get breaking news delivered to your inbox as it happens.