Arrow-right Camera
The Spokesman-Review Newspaper

The Spokesman-Review Newspaper The Spokesman-Review

Spokane, Washington  Est. May 19, 1883
Cloudy 24° Cloudy
News >  Crime/Public Safety

Fertilizer plant near Moses Lake continues to smolder, emitting smoke and toxic gases

Oct. 27, 2022 Updated Thu., Oct. 27, 2022 at 7:59 p.m.

The fire that destroyed a fertilizer plant earlier this week outside Moses Lake continues to smolder and emit smoke and toxic gases.  (Courtesy of Grant County Sheriff's Office)
The fire that destroyed a fertilizer plant earlier this week outside Moses Lake continues to smolder and emit smoke and toxic gases. (Courtesy of Grant County Sheriff's Office)

The fire that destroyed a fertilizer plant Sunday near Moses Lake continued to smolder Thursday, emitting smoke and potentially dangerous gases that caused health officials to continue to urge residents to take precautions.

The health advisory from the Grant County Health District is for residents downwind of the Wilbur Ellis facility fire, according to a Grant County Sheriff’s Office news release. The release said particulate matter, similar to what can be generated from wildfire, and noxious gases are traveling with the wind.

The particulate matter van be unsafe if inhaled, according to the sheriff’s office. Seven monitoring locations set up by the Washington state Department of Ecology and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency reported a downward trend in particulate concentrations east of the site. Sulfur dioxide was detected through air monitoring tests.

Sulfur dioxide is a colorless gas with an “irritating, pungent odor,” the release said. It is a known byproduct of burning fertilizer products, including those at the site.

Exposure to the toxic gas may irritate the eyes, nose, throat and airways. Contact your health care provider if you have symptoms or are concerned about exposure.

Officials recommended wearing a KN95 mask to protect from particulate matter. The masks do not protect from gases, including sulfur dioxide, the release said.

On Tuesday, officials lifted a shelter-in-place notice for residents threatened by smoke.

The plant collapsed after it was engulfed in flames Sunday afternoon, the sheriff’s office said. The cause of the fire, which did not cause injuries, was undetermined earlier in the week.

The Spokesman-Review Newspaper

Local journalism is essential.

Give directly to The Spokesman-Review's Northwest Passages community forums series -- which helps to offset the costs of several reporter and editor positions at the newspaper -- by using the easy options below. Gifts processed in this system are not tax deductible, but are predominately used to help meet the local financial requirements needed to receive national matching-grant funds.

Active Person

Subscribe now to get breaking news alerts in your email inbox

Get breaking news delivered to your inbox as it happens.