Arrow-right Camera
The Spokesman-Review Newspaper

The Spokesman-Review Newspaper The Spokesman-Review

Spokane, Washington  Est. May 19, 1883
Clear Day 86° Clear

Tag search results

Tags let us describe our content with keywords, making it easier to find what you're most interested in. Use the search box to look for tags, or explore our coverage with the lists below.

Girl, 11, Electrocuted By Light Pole

An 11-year-old girl wet from swimming was electrocuted when she stepped near an electrified light pole at a playground construction area. Crystin Hess was waiting with a friend for a ride home Sunday when she stepped near some rolled-up metal fencing and the pole, which had current running through it.

Downed Line Kills Driver, Three Rescuers

An injured driver and three rescuers trying to help him after a crash were electrocuted by a downed power line. One of the rescuers backed into the 7,200-volt line Thursday night while they were trying to move the driver, sheriff's Deputy Tim Bailey said. The ground was wet.

Big Power Surge Damages Appliances In Six Valley Homes

A power surge late Friday blew out lights, sent sparks flying and caused several thousand dollars worth of damage inside six south Spokane Valley homes. Damage at the houses in the 10900 block of east 18th and 19th ranged from exploded light bulbs to broken furnaces. A street light also exploded during the 11:45 p.m. surge. No one was injured.

Fireworks Show Rocket Hits Power Line, Electrocuting 35 Sobbing Survivors Flee Bridge,Crushing Others Beneath Them

As festival-goers packed a bridge for a riverside fireworks show, a stray rocket sent a high-tension line crashing into the crowd, unleashing 10,000 volts that electrocuted 35 people and sent many of their bodies bursting into flames. The dead at the Wednesday night festival in southern Peru included a policeman electrocuted trying to pull a victim away from the electric current. In the chaos, sobbing survivors collapsed on the cobblestone plaza or ran in panic, crushing others beneath them.

Helper At Car Crash Electrocuted

A good Samaritan trying to move a broken telephone wire from a car wreck was electrocuted Saturday, police said. Frederick Misuraca, 30, was moving the wire off the road after he had helped remove two teenagers from a car that had struck a utility pole and overturned. But he accidentally touched a live wire connected to the pole. The 16-year-old driver and his 17-year-old passenger were not injured. The driver was ticketed for reckless driving.

Guest Electrocuted By Hotel Room Door

A defect in an air conditioner or its cord caused the electric charge that killed a woman as she opened the door to her hotel room, an electrical inspector said Friday. Milika Sloan, 18, of Cincinnati was wet from rain and barefoot June 24, when she opened the door to a Ramada Hotel outside Washington, D.C., and was electrocuted.