Arrow-right Camera
The Spokesman-Review Newspaper

The Spokesman-Review Newspaper The Spokesman-Review

Spokane, Washington  Est. May 19, 1883
Partly Cloudy Night 28° Partly Cloudy

Tag search results

Tags let us describe our content with keywords, making it easier to find what you're most interested in. Use the search box to look for tags, or explore our coverage with the lists below.


WW II Marine’s stolen ashes finally at ease

In 2002, Barbara Jo Payne loaded up her dad’s ashes as she was moving to her new home in Vancouver. The small box containing the ashes of Wathen “Curt” Curtsinger arrived last week.

Jim Kershner’s This Day in History

From our archives, 100 years ago Spokane residents were being offered an eyebrow-raising form of garden fertilizer: crematory ashes.

Ashes of man’s wife among items stolen from home

Stephen Crowder, who lost his wife of 20 years to ovarian cancer in 2008, was greeted by the unthinkable when he returned to the home he’s renovating in Spokane Valley on Tuesday. A box containing Nancy Crowder’s ashes was among the items stolen by burglars during a break-in earlier this week. Stephen Crowder said the theft of her remains, among other items valued in the thousands of dollars, is the hardest to comprehend.

‘Bergdorf’s’ is high fashion, low drama

It covers an entire city block of New York’s Fifth Avenue, a Dover marble and bronze citadel of consumption at its most conspicuous. Bergdorf Goodman is shopping at its highest end, a fashion arbiter at the oh-so-exclusive retail level, the capital of aspirational America. From its exquisite designer salons to its ornate street-level windows, ornate expressions of consumerism as public art, it is a monument, in its own way, to the American dream. “Scatter My Ashes at Bergdorf’s” is a love letter to this New York institution, a celebration of its place within the fashion food chain and those designers who know that when they’ve been accepted there, their fortune is made.

Valley fire that destroyed RV traced to propane heater

Spokane Valley Fire Department crews responded to several significant blazes during the week of Jan. 10-16. Four small dogs died and an RV was destroyed in a fire blamed on a propane space heater at 10:13 p.m. Wednesday in the 8800 block of East Montgomery Drive. A man had been staying in a RV parked in a driveway and was inside the house watching television with the homeowner when they heard a noise, said Assistant Fire Marshal Bill Clifford.