Stories tagged: spokane history
Mon., Feb. 3, 2020
Then and Now: East Trent Bridge – about to be replaced – once set the standard for bridges in Spokane
The city built the concrete East Olive Avenue Bridge, now the East Trent Bridge, with city laborers and completed it in 1910 for more than $100,000.
Mon., Dec. 30, 2019
The J.I. Case Threshing Machine Co. bought the building at the corner of Boone Avenue and Monroe Street in 1909, and would remain there until moving operations to the West …
Mon., Dec. 9, 2019
The size of Spokane County’s jail has been a political question since at least the late 1930s. The current Public Safety Building was built in 1970 to relieve the stress …
Mon., Dec. 2, 2019
Eastern Washington’s largest mall began as a cluster of shops surrounding an Albertson’s grocery store in the 1950s. Today, it houses a movie theater and several remaining department stores after …
Mon., Oct. 21, 2019
Named for a pharmaceutical warehouse built on the corner of Sprague and Howard in the 1890s, the Chemical Block was home to several businesses before being demolished in 1960 to …
Mon., Oct. 7, 2019
The Jensen-Byrd warehouse on Main Avenue was first built as a storage facility for the Marshall-Wells Company in 1909. Today, it’s part of the WSU campus in the University District.
Mon., Sept. 23, 2019
Spokane’s streetcars wound their way through town from 1887 to 1936. Today, the old barn at Boone and Cedar is part of the maintenance facilities for Spokane County.
Mon., Sept. 2, 2019
City Engineer A.M. Eschbach called Freya on the South Hill as “one of the most excessive grades in the city.” The solution was to use Thor Street and tie it …
UPDATED: Sun., July 28, 2019
Historians persuade Spokane police to correct error on their uniforms – date of department’s founding
Spokane police patches and badges sport the date 1884, but a town marshal, Eugene Hyde, was on duty three years previously. It’s taken a dedicated band of historians, including the …
UPDATED: Thu., July 11, 2019
Tony Bamonte, a prolific local historian and the three-term Pend Oreille County sheriff who unearthed evidence of a police cover-up in the murder of the Newport town marshal 54 years …
Mon., June 24, 2019
The Velox Naval Supply Depot got its name from a famous racehorse in the 1890s, Harry Velox. Now the 530-acre property, near Sullivan Road and Trent Avenue, is a business …
Mon., May 27, 2019
The expansion of federal government agencies during the Great Depression prompted a search for more office space in Spokane. The 1909 Post Office was expanded in 1941.
Mon., May 20, 2019
The second-largest dairy in the country began in Spokane with the 1888 arrival of two brothers, George and David Brown.
Mon., May 20, 2019
Miners in the Coeur d’Alene mining district got a boost in pay from $4.25 to $4.75 per shift. The move was announced at a meeting of the principal operators in …
UPDATED: Mon., May 13, 2019
A key chapter in the history of Post Falls Dam begins with Frederick Post, a German immigrant who trained as a millwright and settled in Idaho in 1871.
Sun., May 12, 2019
The strike of 500 Spokane teamsters and chauffeurs is off. An agreement to end the week-old strike means the men will return to work the next day.
UPDATED: Mon., May 6, 2019
A motor inn catering to America’s generation of car travelers opened in 1963 on the site of what used to be the historic Spokane Hotel. The Ridpath Motor Inn had …
UPDATED: Mon., April 29, 2019
Washington Water Power’s first major power project, which began producing power in 1890, was located at the lower falls near Monroe Street. An 18-foot dam of rocks and timbers pooled …
Mon., April 22, 2019
A tale of two neighbors: The Granite Block was the result of a massive rebuild after the Great Fire of 1889; the Paulsen Building had roots in the sudden wealth …
Mon., April 15, 2019
The Lang Building was erected on Washington Street in 1891. Most of the downtown buildings in that era were built for ground floor retail space, with a hotel or residence …
UPDATED: Wed., April 10, 2019
The Spokane Valley Heritage Museum is planning a notable exhibit in July featuring documents and photos from the late Spokane aviator Nick Mamer.
Mon., April 1, 2019
The Maple Street Bridge, which opened to traffic on July 1, 1958, is 1,716 feet long, towering 125 feet above the Spokane River, and its road surface is 50 feet …
UPDATED: Mon., March 25, 2019
Single-room occupancy hotels accommodated downtown Spokane’s booming early 1900s, including the Albany, Regal and Stanford hotels. Rooms had a bed, sink, wardrobe and little else.
Mon., Dec. 31, 2018
The old Palace building got a complete makeover in mid-century style, for the incoming J.C. Penney store.
Mon., Dec. 24, 2018
The first corporate exhibitor to sign on for Expo ’74 was Ford Motor Co. The commitment was made in January of 1973, just 17 months before the opening ceremonies in …
Mon., Dec. 17, 2018
Rosa D. Malone arrived in Spokane as a Works Progress Administration supervisor and founded the Booker T. Washington Community Center in the basement of Calvary Baptist Church in 1937.
UPDATED: Mon., Dec. 10, 2018
R. G. “Buck” Buchanan, born in 1901 and raised on a cattle ranch in New Mexico, started in the car business in 1918 as a driving instructor in Missoula, Montana, …
Mon., Dec. 3, 2018
When Spokane city father James Glover arrived in 1874, science had yet to explain the rocky buttes and basins of Eastern Washington or the other varied landscapes of the Washington …
Mon., Nov. 26, 2018
John B. Blalock, born 1856 in Sevier County, Tennessee, was one of Spokane Falls’ early settlers, arriving in 1879, after stops in Oregon and Walla Walla.
Mon., Nov. 12, 2018
Historian Robert Hyslop, in his book “Spokane Building Blocks,” explains why Spokane’s Union Station, shown under construction in 1913, was called a station and not a depot. There had already …