Arrow-right Camera

The Spokesman-Review Newspaper The Spokesman-Review

Tuesday, November 19, 2019  Spokane, Washington  Est. May 19, 1883
Cloudy 45° Cloudy

Tags


Stories tagged: spokane history


Spokane historians to re-enact the city’s great 1889 fire, on Twitter

Then, as now, smoke hung in the pines overlooking the young pioneer town beside the Spokane Falls. Area forests were ablaze. People and horses trudged along the dusty streets in …


Then and now: Water tank on east Ninth

In 1968, Glen Yake, who was Spokane’s city engineer from the 1950s to the 1980s, said: “Water is Spokane’s greatest asset.” He said that major urban areas that had seen …


Then and now: Construction, redesign of Riverfront Park

In the early 1960s, business and city leaders believed that Spokane needed something to bring it out of its funk. The economy was stagnant. Railroads were still shipping, but passenger …


Then and now: Hutton Building

Fueled by a lucky stake in a productive silver mine, Levi “Al” Hutton and May Arkwright built the Hutton building in 1906.


Fairmount to dedicate new monument to Civil War veteran Friday

Civil War veteran and his wife are being honored with a monument at Fairmount Memorial Park


Then and Now: Stevens Street Extension

Before the 1960s, Stevens Street only went up the South Hill to Seventh Avenue, blocked by the cliff above and the expansive estate of Daniel Corbin, which was purchased by …


Then and now: Spokane Amateur Athletic Club

Spokane was booming in the 1890s, the population was growing rapidly and clubs, lodges and fraternal organizations were bursting at the seams. The Spokane Amateur Athletic Club organized in 1891 …


Spokane history found on the sidewalk looking up

A series of heritage walking tours is available to folks interested in the history of downtown buildings.


Then and now: Avista Stadium

Baseball has been a staple of summer entertainment in Spokane since the 1890s. Spokane baseball teams carried names like the Hawks, Bunchgrassers, Blue Stockings and Smoke Eaters. But in 1940, …


Then and now: Pratt Furniture

Entrepreneur Albert R. Pratt built a legacy in furniture in Spokane, in an area now incorporated into the River Park Square development.


Then and Now: Manito’s Duncan Garden

In early Spokane, parks were primarily natural spaces used for picnics. When Parks Superintendent John W. Duncan retired in 1942, Spokane’s park system included more parks, plus features like playgrounds, …


Then and Now: The Powell-Sanders Building

Edward L. Powell was 11 years old when his family moved west by covered wagon from Ohio to Oregon in 1862. After studying civil engineering, he worked for the railroad. …


Then and Now: The Montvale

John W. Binkley, a Spokane pioneer attorney and judge, built a mixed-use building on two lots at First Avenue and Monroe Street in 1899. He named it Montvale, after his …


Then and Now: Then and Now: Mica brickyard

Inventor Charles Oudin and other partners founded American Fire Brick Co. in Mica in 1902. And they’ve been making bricks there ever since.



Then and Now: Patsy Clark Mansion

Patsy Clark’s mansion is one of the most recognizable homes in Spokane. It ranks high among the palatial homes built by Spokane’s early millionaires.


Then and Now: Nishinomiya Tsutakawa Japanese Garden

Spokanites have loved the Japanese garden at Manito Park for family outings, nature photos and quiet meditation since it’s opening in 1974. The area is named for Nishinomiya, Japan, Spokane’s …


UPDATED: Mon., March 27, 2017

Then and Now: Galax Hotel

Then and now offers a glimpse of Spokane as it was a century ago.


Then and Now: Flooding in Spokane – it’s been worse

As authorities monitor flooding this week around the Spokane region, the damage sustained can’t compare to some of Spokane’s worst flooding seasons. There have been many years where floodwaters have …


Then and Now: Spokane Flower Growers Association

The Washington Flower Growers Association organized around 1925 to help a dozen or more Spokane and Idaho greenhouse operators market and ship their flowers to florists and stores around the …


Then and Now: Madison building

Frank P. Hogan, born in Ireland in 1848, didn’t leave his name on much in Spokane. But he was a pivotal figure in the city’s growth.


Then and Now: the writing on the walls of the downtown railroad viaduct

In 1990, the Spokane Arts Commission and Central Business Association teamed up to cover the walls of the downtown railroad viaduct with murals – instead of graffiti.


Then and Now: Upper Falls Power Plant

David Lynde Huntington, born in 1870, arrived in Spokane to take an engineering job with W.W.P. in 1894. Within two years, he was managing the day-to-day operations as well as …


Then and Now: Camp Caro

Now part of the Dishman Hills Natural Area, Camp Caro has a long history of serving Girl Scouts, church members and youth groups.


Then and Now: The Fuller Building

The Spokane Elks Club was established in 1892 with 45 charter members. In the heady days of Spokane’s boom era, the local club grew to be one of the larger …


Then and Now: Naborhood Dutch Shops

The Cambern brothers, raised on a farm in the Colbert area, were ambitious and industrious. Three of the six brothers – Robert, Cecil and Clifford – bought a small bakery …


Then and Now: Travelodge on Havermale Island

Havermale Island in downtown Spokane had been a mostly industrial area since white settlers arrived in the 1870s. Mills, laundries, warehouses and factories lined the sole street, Havermale Avenue, convenient …


Then and Now: Kress Building

Samuel Henry Kress, born in Pennsylvania in 1863, joined the retail business revolution of the late 1800s and built a chain of discount stores that grew to 264 establishments.


Then & Now: Havermale Island

Rev. Samuel Havermale was a Methodist preacher, adventurer and businessman. He was born in Maryland in 1824 and educated in Ohio and Illinois. He married Elizabeth Goldthrop in 1849, and …


Then and Now: Spokane’s telephone companies

Just a few years after Alexander Graham Bell demonstrated his new invention, Charles B. Hopkins installed the first telephones in the Inland Northwest. In 1884, he bought an old Army …