Arrow-right Camera
Go to e-Edition Sign up for newsletters Customer service
Subscribe now
Opinion >  Letters

Celebrate without fireworks

This Fourth of July was worse than a nightmare for many residents of Eastern Washington. Several fires were traceable to fireworks.

In Washington, as the law reads now, fireworks have special treatment in that not even an emergency order from the governor can ban or restrict their use. Other things can be banned in an emergency, but not fireworks. In a local area, if an ordinance is made limiting or banning private fireworks, it can’t go into effect until a year after it has passed. Most other ordinances can go into effect as early as 30 days after being enacted.

This year, with severe drought and record high temperatures, the governor and local areas where private fireworks are totally legal could only ask for voluntary restraint and that helped somewhat, which I greatly appreciated.

I can continue to hope for the time that those who cherish our independence will be able to celebrate it in ways that are more thoughtful of their neighbors, and which do not pose a threat to safety and property.

Thomas Durst

Medical Lake

Letters policy

The Spokesman-Review invites original letters on topics of public interest. Your letter must adhere to the following rules:

  • No more than 250 words
  • We reserve the right to reject letters that are not factually correct, racist or are written with malice.
  • We cannot accept more than one letter a month from the same writer.
  • With each letter, include your daytime phone number and street address.
  • The Spokesman-Review retains the nonexclusive right to archive and re-publish any material submitted for publication.
Unfortunately, we don’t have space to publish all letters received, nor are we able to acknowledge their receipt.
Click here to learn more.

Submit letters using any of the following:

Our online form

Mail: Letters to the Editor
The Spokesman-Review
999 W. Riverside Ave.
Spokane, WA 99201

Fax: (509) 459-3815
Questions?: (509) 459-5430