OK, let's say you live in Eastern Washington and you are a sports fan who happens be a conservative. How do you rationalize rooting for Seattle sports teams when that city is the home base of your in-state political opposition?
1. "I realize politics is pretty scorched Earth right now. But the sports world is exempt."
2. "I don't think the people who root for the Mariners and the Seahawks over there are actually Democrats or so-called Progressives. I think left-leaning types are too busy trying on lycra cycling wear and being performance locavores to care about real sports. No, the people in Seattle who care about pro teams are good conservatives."
3. "I'm rooting for sports teams, not for that city's misguided electoral leanings."
4. "Hey, I'm perfectly capable of being fair-minded about this. It's West Side liberals' fault that the M's and Hawks suck."
5. "Maybe it IS giving aid and comfort to the enemy. But I have been waiting for one of those teams to win a championship since I was 14."