When the City of Spokane sprang from the sudden wealth pulled from the surrounding forests, mountains and rivers by the newly arrived practice of industrial commerce, so did grand visions for its future. Some, like Expo ’74, happened and transformed the city. Some were completed only partly, such as the Olmsted Brothers’ General Plan of the Park System. And some didn’t happen at all. Welcome to the Spokane that never was.
Links to top content
Most read right now
Yesterday's most read
Top stories from the SR and around the world
Fri., Nov. 24, 2017
More sponsored stories:
UPDATED: Thu., Nov. 23, 2017, 3:55 p.m.
UPDATED: Fri., Nov. 24, 2017, 12:55 a.m.
- As last senior linebacker standing, Washington State’s Isaac Dotson prepared to ‘play heart out’ in final Apple Cup
- updated TV Take: Gonzaga feels right at home in PK80 opener
- updated John Blanchette: PK80 Invitational gives basketball fans an early-season glance at college hoops royalty
- new Gonzaga-Ohio State: 3 keys to the Bulldogs’ 86-59 win
- Washington State edges Saint Joe’s 75-71 on late 3-pointer in Wooden Legacy opener