Why isn't cycling as common in Spokane as it is in many large European cities?
1. Spokane has hills.
2. We have sprawl.
3. Hard to talk on cell phone while riding a bike.
4. We're used to driving everywhere.
5. A fair number of people in Spokane embrace Orwellian attitudes about energy policy.
6. Europeans tend to be in a little better shape.
7. Corporate America has this thing called the National Football League that exists to sell beer and make sure everyone is aware of the need to have a new car.
8. Many Europeans don't stop riding bikes after childhood so they don't have to struggle as adults with the whole "My bike seat is not comfortable" thing.
9. Many in Spokane are unacquainted with the concept of useful exercise.
10. Spokane's weather.
12. Some in Spokane interpret the whole helmets thing as a sign that cycling must be incredibly dangerous.