It's not unheard of for a pedestrian splashed by a car or truck zooming through a street puddle to entertain suspicions that it was a deliberate act.
But then someone will ask, "What makes you think that?"
And often the person now sporting wet clothes has a hard time making a case. He or she just stammers.
So it's a good idea to mentally outline your argument even before you get splashed. Here are five key talking points to keep in mind.
1. Some Spokane drivers seem to enjoy splashing people as a way of expressing disdain for pedestrians and their so-called rights.
2. With hardly any slush season this winter, splash-seeking Spokane drivers have a pent-up urge to demonstrate their dominance over strangers who may well hold views and opinions with which these drivers disagree.
3. "The guy veered out of his way to go through the puddle."
4. Micro-phallus syndrome (an admittedly speculative explanation).
5. Wild-eyed expression/maniacal cackling audible even through closed windows.