Then and Now: Electro-Kold
Later moving from residential refrigerators to commercial units, Electro-Kold became a household name under the ownership of Lewis and Clark graduate Edwin S. Matthews.
Section:Gallery
-
Circa 1930: The Electro-Kold Corporation is shown in two of four commercial bays in the Kirtland Cutter-designed building at 151 and 161 S. Post St., which dates back to 1899 when it was built for a grocery wholesaler, Boothe-Powell Co. After 1906, Beardmore Transfer occupied this space. Electro-Kold moved in during the 1920s and grew to take over the entire building, with shops upstairs and a sales floor below. The company stayed in the building until the 1950s, when it moved to a new building at 303 E. Second Ave. A furniture and gift store, Joel Inc., would move into the space in the 1960s.
Courtesy Of John Matthews
-
The 1899 building designed by Kirtland Cutter and Karl Malmgren is shown in 2020. The ground floor is home to Churchill’s Steakhouse, which has been sold to the company that owns Anthony's. It owns about 30 restaurants including one at 510 N. Lincoln St.
Jesse Tinsley The Spokesman-Review Buy this photo
Share on Social Media
Recent Galleries
-
Eastern Washington hosts scrimmage at ONE Spokane Stadium
-
Hope amidst heartbreak
-
The Autumn Lane fire grew more Monday night, still no containment on Spokane fires
-
Devastation wrought by weekend fires
-
‘Whole community coming together’: Local family and Girl Scout Troop organizes donation drive for displaced residents
-
Old Trails fire press briefing