An 11-year-old girl told authorities that a man tried to attack her at Edgecliff Park last Friday.
The girl saw a tan-colored pickup truck stop in the middle of a baseball field and then park at about 3 p.m., said sheriff’s Lt. David Wiyrick.
A man wearing a dark-colored ski mask and sunglasses got out of the truck and grabbed her neck from behind.
The girl kicked him in the groin and rode away on her bicycle. She called her mother from a friend’s house, deputies said.
He was described as a white man, about 6 feet tall, medium build, with dark hair and a mustache. He was wearing a dark T-shirt over a dark long-sleeve shirt, dark jeans and a white baseball hat.
The man had a portable radio or scanner on his left hip, Wiyrick said.
Another witness saw a tan Nissan pickup truck at the park that afternoon.
Convenience store robbed
A man robbed a Spokane Valley gas station Sunday morning.
A female clerk was working alone at Chevron Food Mart, 12312 E. Sprague, shortly before 10 a.m.
A man came out of the restroom wearing a nylon stocking over his head.
He demanded money and the clerk gave him cash from the register.
He was described as a white man, between 18 and 20, about 5-foot-7, thin, with straight, medium-length brown hair, a soft voice and thin lips.
Pellet gun fired
A man told deputies he was shot by a pellet gun Saturday night.
The man was waiting for a bus on the 13100 block of East Sprague at about 10:45 p.m. when a black Chevrolet Nova turned onto Sprague from McDonald.
Someone in the car pointed a pellet gun at the man at the bus stop and shot hit him in the right shoulder, causing a minor injury.
The vehicle then sped away eastbound on Sprague.
Shots fired from vehicle
No one was hurt in a drive-by shooting reported in the Spokane Valley on Tuesday. A man who lives on the 8700 block of South Dishman-Mica Road told deputies he heard a vehicle approach in the early morning. He heard up to eight gunshots as the vehicle passed. A deputy recovered a bullet that had passed through a wall of the house.
Youth robs woman
A teenager snatched a purse from a woman near 14th Avenue and Balfour Road on Monday.
The woman told authorities she was walking at about 8 p.m. when a young man came up behind her and grabbed her purse.
The thief, who ran east on 15th, was described as white, with shaved hair in back. He was wearing a black baseball cap, black jacket and pants, and white tennis shoes.
A Valley man was arrested for theft and disorderly conduct Saturday after a confrontation with a neighbor.
A deputy responded to a neighborhood dispute at 1008 N. Bessie. A man at the residence had reportedly threatened a neighbor with a knife.
He refused to follow the orders of the deputy and locked himself inside his house.
Officers then entered the residence and arrested David R. Good, 26.
A neighbor told deputies that he had complained that Good’s music was too loud. After turning down the music, Good allegedly confronted the neighbor with a knife.
Stolen credit card used
A man was arrested for allegedly trying to use a stolen credit card at The Jackpot last Friday.
Employees told authorities that a customer presented a stolen credit card for payment at The Jackpot, 7018 E. Sprague, shortly after 2 p.m.
Deputies arrested David A. Barton, 35, 4004 E. Nebraska, for second degree forgery and possession of stolen property.
A bag containing $400 in quarters was reported missing from the Kaiser plant in Trentwood on Tuesday.
A security guard noticed a contract employee placing a suspicious bag into his vehicle in a Kaiser parking lot. Guards searched the man’s vehicle as it was leaving the gate and found the bag of quarters.
Deputies arrested Nicholas S. McDonald, 18, 24711 E. Roxanne, for second degree theft.
Exhaust pipe catches fire
A small fire started when an Idaho man spilled gasoline on a hot exhaust pipe Sunday.
Ray Smith, of Boise, was fueling his 1983 Southwind motor home at Divine’s Cenex, at 1520 N. Pines at about 2:45 p.m.
He accidentally spilled gasoline on the ground and on the outside of the motor home. It ignited when it touched the exhaust pipe.
Flames went up the side of the motor home and into a compartment on the side.
Another customer ran inside the gas station for a fire extinguisher and put the fire out.
Damage was limited to smoke and minor scorching on the outside of the motor home.
Subscribe to the Morning Review newsletter
Get the day’s top headlines delivered to your inbox every morning by subscribing to our newsletter.