Arrow-right Camera
The Spokesman-Review Newspaper
Spokane, Washington  Est. May 19, 1883

Two Board Members Resign At Riverside Both Emphasized They Were Not Forced Out

The last two Riverside School Board members representing the regime of former superintendent Jerry Wilson resigned recently.

Resignation letters from Janet Hansen, board president, and Sandra Ross were read at the Dec. 19 school board meeting. Hansen had been a board member for 11 years; Ross for five.

“Having them leave is both happy and sad,” said Janet Kemp, part of the district’s two-person interim superintendent team. “It’s a relief for them for the stress they’ve been through, and it’s sad that their expertise will not be available to us.”

Both Hansen and Ross emphasized they were not “forced out.”

“It was a personal choice,” Hansen said. “I felt that this was the time to step down to let the board get on with its work.”

The past year was a tumultuous one for the Riverside School District, with a teacher walkout and a demonstration against Wilson that ended with a buyout of the final three years of his contract for $325,000 plus interest and benefits.

About the same time, assistant superintendent Terry Weinmann also announced his retirement, leaving the district leaderless and in debt.

Still, Hansen said she “loved every day she served on the board.” In her letter, she expressed appreciation to the community for allowing her to be their representative, and sent good wishes to “all of you who have the privilege to make a difference in the lives of our children.”

A Riverside High School graduate, Hansen said she became a board member because the Riverside schools prepared her so well for life, and she wanted to be involved in the activities she loved so much.

“I set goals for myself to learn about the issues in education, and make the best decisions I could to affect people in a positive way,” she said. “That’s what I think I did.”

The tone of Ross’ letter was a bit more bitter.

“Some reasons for my decision to resign are personal, but the inability of the board to work together is a paramount concern,” she wrote. “I believe that recent decisions made by the three new board members has placed our district in grave jeopardy (financially), and the direction in which they continue to move heightens my concern for future liability.”

Like Hansen, Ross said she just felt that the time had come to leave.

“It was a constant 3-2 battle. It wasn’t doing the district any good,” Ross said. “I’m so sorry this is what it’s come to, but (Hansen and I) felt it was in the best interest of everyone to resign.”

Kemp expressed appreciation for the board members’ work.

“It’s not easy to come together after such a tumultuous year,” Kemp said. “People don’t realize how much being a board member is like being a politician. It takes a lot out of that person. But (Hansen and Ross) can leave saying they gave it their best shot. I really think they tried to do what’s best for the district” District officials have started getting the word out about the two vacant board positions, and have set a deadline of mid-January for application letters. They will announce the candidates at the Jan. 18 board meeting, Kemp said, and the new members should be installed by Feb. 22.

At the Dec. 19 board meeting, board members also reported that the search for a new superintendent has been put on hold.

“At this time, what’s best for the kids is for us to stay where we are,” said Kemp, who serves as superintendent along with Galen Hansen. “We want the district to heal. That’s the No. 1 goal of the superintendents.”