ROME – An Italian court has issued European arrest warrants for 22 CIA operatives accused of kidnapping a radical imam in Milan, thereby expanding the dragnet for the suspects to 25 countries, a prosecutor said Friday.
The abduction is one of several cases causing a furor in Europe in which U.S. intelligence agencies are suspected of using European soil and airspace to imprison or transport terror suspects to third countries without judicial authorization. These so-called extraordinary renditions are one of the most controversial elements of the Bush administration’s efforts to fight terrorism.
In the Italian case, the 22 CIA operatives, including the Milan station chief, are accused of snatching Hassan Osama Nasr as he walked to a mosque in Milan nearly three years ago. He was spirited away on a secret flight to his native Egypt, where he was imprisoned and, he later told friends, tortured.
Italian prosecutors have been trying to bring the operatives to trial since June, when they first obtained arrest warrants for some of the suspects. Those warrants, however, covered only Italy. Lead prosecutor Armando Spataro said Friday that a court earlier this week issued the European arrest warrants, which means that the suspects can now be arrested in any of the European Union’s 25 member states.
The Italian Justice Ministry has refused to act on a Nov. 10 request from Spataro’s office for the extradition from the U.S. of the men and women who allegedly kidnapped the cleric, better known as Abu Omar. Under bilateral conventions, an extradition request for a U.S. citizen must go through the Justice Ministry. But Justice Minister Roberto Castelli answers to Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi, who has made it clear he does not want the case to advance.
The matter has been especially embarrassing for Berlusconi, who enthusiastically supports Bush administration policies but has had to publicly deny Italian involvement in the abduction – even as CIA officers in the U.S. told newspapers they were acting with Italian permission.
Berlusconi said this week that although he did not believe the CIA had kidnapped Abu Omar, he thought such an operation was completely justifiable.
“You can’t tackle terrorism with a law book in your hand,” Berlusconi said.
“If they fight with a sword, you have to defend yourself with a sword … When hundreds of thousands of lives are at risk, countries have to use the secret methods and arms available to them to defend those lives.”
Prosecutor Spataro has also asked that Interpol be instructed to arrest the CIA operatives in non-European countries. In a telephone interview, he said that no action has been taken yet on that request, which has to pass through the Justice Ministry.
The Europe-wide arrest warrant was created after the Sept. 11 attacks in the United States, designed as a way to better apprehend terror suspects who cross European borders with ease. Law enforcement agencies in member countries are generally obliged to detain and hand over people named in the warrants.
Local journalism is essential.
Give directly to The Spokesman-Review's Northwest Passages community forums series -- which helps to offset the costs of several reporter and editor positions at the newspaper -- by using the easy options below. Gifts processed in this system are not tax deductible, but are predominately used to help meet the local financial requirements needed to receive national matching-grant funds.
Subscribe now to get breaking news alerts in your email inbox
Get breaking news delivered to your inbox as it happens.