Arrow-right Camera
The Spokesman-Review Newspaper
Spokane, Washington  Est. May 19, 1883

G-Prep, Ferris make own paths to district title game

One game took three overtimes and the other was a blowout, but the end result was the same for Ferris and Gonzaga Prep.

The pair will meet in tonight’s District 8 4A basketball finals at 7:45 at Central Valley. Both get to stay in Spokane throughout next week’s regional tournament, while University and Shadle Park must open on the road Tuesday.

Shadle and U-Hi play for third and fourth regional seeds at 5:45 tonight.

Ferris (18-3) started and finished fast to post a 74-44 win over Shadle (10-12) in the nightcap at CV. G-Prep (16-7) eked out a 77-73 victory over U-Hi (16-6) in their three-OT marathon.

Gonzaga 77, University 73 (3OTs)

This game was a basketball purist’s nightmare. Neither team played well, although the Bullpups finally prevailed despite themselves.

It took a tipin by K.C. Anderson of Ian Parry’s missed second free throw for a 76-71 lead with less than 20 seconds remaining for the Bullpups to clinch.

“What I saw,” said G-Prep coach Mike Haugen, “was two teams working extremely hard.”

Just not always smart.

Neither managed the clock well, squandering leads throughout the game.

In Haugen’s words: “The execution was at times questionable.”

A litany of missed layins, free throws and hurried shots kept this one up for grabs.

U-Hi was ahead by six points with 43 seconds remaining in regulation. But the Titans made just 1 of 3 free throws down the stretch, enabling the Bullpups to tie with a pair of 3-pointers, one a dead-on bank off the backboard by Brandon Kennedy. U-Hi finished the game 5 of 13 from the line while the Bullpups were 15 for 27.

U-Hi turned over the ball with 3 seconds left.

In the first overtime, G-Prep jumped to a seven-point lead and led 61-56, but indiscriminate shot selection enabled U-Hi to tie in the final minute. The Titans forced a third OT after trailing by four points with 47 seconds to go in the second OT.

Parry was huge in the extra periods, scoring 13 of his 14 points.

“It was grueling,” Parry said. “Nobody could pull it out. (Both teams) kept getting ahead in overtime and giving it right back.”

U-Hi’s Sunny Khehra came off the bench in the first half for a quick 11 points, including eight straight that gave his team a 23-18 lead. For the night, the Titans hit 12 3-pointers.

The lead was short-lived. G-Prep squeezed ahead by two points at halftime.

Michael Johnson scored 21 points and Ryan Murphy 20 for the Bullpups. Inderbir Gill led U-Hi with 25 points, and Khehra added 17.

Ferris 74, Shadle Park 44

Speedy Saxons guards Jeremy Templeton and Jon Clift proved to be Shadle’s undoing on both ends of the court.

Templeton had 13 first-quarter points as the Saxons ran off 17 straight for a 23-8 lead.

“I always liked this gym,” said Templeton, who finished with 23 points. “There’s something about it and I get pumped up for district.”

Shadle closed within six points in the half and trailed 32-25 early in the third quarter. But Clift’s steals and seven points got Ferris off and running for good. The score was 48-28 a matter of 6 minutes later.

“We knew we had to put the pressure on their guards,” said Clift, “and keep the ball away from Josh Landsverk.”

Ferris is 3-0 against Shadle this year, but the other wins were by two points and three points.