Dalton Elementary School will hold a Party of the Century May 15 from 5:30 to 8 p.m. to mark its 100th year on the corner of Hanley and Mount Carol. Expect food, fun and games at the party.
Built in 1909, under the guidance of County Superintendent of Schools H.H. Barton of Coeur d’Alene, the original school opened with an enrollment of 32 students. A complete list of the original student unfortunately is not available.
The original school was considered quite modern for its time but did not have indoor lavatories. Instead, two outhouses, marked Boys and Girls, sat on the south side of the school. Electricity wasn’t available in the original building so kerosene lamps provided the lighting.
The school building was square with a roof that angled on four sides to a peak in its center. A large loud bell was housed in its belfry. It is remembered for announcing daily school, as well as ringing for community emergencies.
In 1961 the original school was demolished, and Principal Walt Chariton took custody of the bell. The bell was housed in the Dalton City Hall for 45 years. The bell was returned to the school in 2007 and a bell tower was constructed for its permanent housing.
Local journalism is essential.
Give directly to The Spokesman-Review's Northwest Passages community forums series -- which helps to offset the costs of several reporter and editor positions at the newspaper -- by using the easy options below. Gifts processed in this system are not tax deductible, but are predominately used to help meet the local financial requirements needed to receive national matching-grant funds.
Subscribe to the Coronavirus newsletter
Get the day’s latest Coronavirus news delivered to your inbox by subscribing to our newsletter.