Arrow-right Camera

The Spokesman-Review Newspaper The Spokesman-Review

Friday, October 23, 2020  Spokane, Washington  Est. May 19, 1883
Partly Cloudy Night 26° Partly Cloudy
News >  Spokane

Deadly fire caused by smoking in bed

A fire that killed a 49-year-old woman at the Bel-Air 7 Motel in Spokane on Tuesday morning was caused by smoking in bed, officials said Thursday. Spokane fire officials said the 9 a.m. fire at 1303 E. Sprague Ave. is being ruled accidental. The identity of the woman was withheld Thursday pending notification of family members. She was pronounced dead at Providence Sacred Heart Medical Center a short time after firefighters pulled her from her smoke-filled room on the first floor of the two-story motel.
The Spokesman-Review Newspaper

Local journalism is essential.

Give directly to The Spokesman-Review's Northwest Passages community forums series -- which helps to offset the costs of several reporter and editor positions at the newspaper -- by using the easy options below. Gifts processed in this system are not tax deductible, but are predominately used to help meet the local financial requirements needed to receive national matching-grant funds.

Subscribe to the Coronavirus newsletter

Get the day’s latest Coronavirus news delivered to your inbox by subscribing to our newsletter.


New health insurance plans available November 1 through Washington Healthplanfinder

 (Photo courtesy WAHBE)
Sponsored

Fall means the onset of the cold and flu season.