Here are some nuts and bolts of Brigham Young University’s withdrawal from the Mountain West Conference to accept an invitation to join the West Coast Conference:
1. BYU will begin play in all WCC sports except rowing and men’s soccer, which the school does not offer, in the 2011-12 school year, and play football as an independent.
2. BYU does not compete athletically on Sundays. Adjustments will be made to round-robin schedules in the necessary sports, as well as to the WCC basketball tournament schedule.
3. No other WCC expansion is on the immediate horizon, according to league members.
4. Enhancement of the WCC television contract with ESPN, which is coming up for renegotiation, is expected.
5. GU and BYU have never met in men’s basketball.
Subscribe to the sports newsletter
Get the day’s top sports headlines and breaking news delivered to your inbox by subscribing here.