Mako the arson dog assisted the Spokane Fire Department with an apartment building fire on Wednesday.
Fire investigator Rick Freier and Mako went to the scene at 2918 E. Diamond Ave., in Spokane to determine if a suspicious fire was arson. The fire started late Tuesday and as many as 26 residents were evacuated.
All told during the week of May 31 through Wednesday, the Spokane Valley Fire Department responded to 218 calls, said Assistant Fire Marshal Bill Clifford.
Of those calls, 14 were fires, most of them fairly minor.
On June 1, the department was called to Centennial Middle School, 925 N. Ella Road, when a fan malfunctioned in one of the restrooms. The fan became hot and set off the smoke alarm. The unit was repaired.
On June 3, crews responded to a call at 12209 E. 21st Ave. A fire in a manufactured fireplace in the yard spread to the house and caused minor damage.
There were two vehicle fires, which Clifford said were mechanical failures – the vehicles were towed.
They responded to 13 alarm calls, one of which was a fire drill in which participants forgot to call the fire department in advance.
Over the course of the week, SVFD responded to 163 medical calls. Clifford said none of these was major, but noted that many of the department’s calls are for medical emergencies.
“Seventy to 75 percent of our calls are medical,” he said.
There were two service calls – a patient needed assistance and there was a water leak.
On Tuesday, the department received a water rescue call when witnesses reported a large white object floating down the Spokane River with no one aboard. The object was a chunk of foam that was probably used to keep a dock afloat and came loose.
Subscribe to the Morning Review newsletter
Get the day’s top headlines delivered to your inbox every morning by subscribing to our newsletter.